Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to use the options with F10, F11, F11 for turning the sound up or down or mute?

Hi, I'm Hannah. I'm using a Mac. Can you show me how to use the options with F10, F11, F12 for turning the sound up, or down or mute? Thank you very much 🙂

MacBook

Posted on Jan 20, 2014 12:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2014 12:38 AM

Normally simply pressing them should do what you want, F10 to mute; F11 to decrease volume; F12 to increase volume. However, it's possible that you have a box ticked in Keyboard preferences which modifies the behaviour of the keys, requiring you to also hold down the Fn key (bottom left key on the keyboard) to enable the function.

User uploaded file

Check System Preferences>Keyboard to makes sure the box indicated in the image isn't ticked.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2014 12:38 AM in response to ttku2709

Normally simply pressing them should do what you want, F10 to mute; F11 to decrease volume; F12 to increase volume. However, it's possible that you have a box ticked in Keyboard preferences which modifies the behaviour of the keys, requiring you to also hold down the Fn key (bottom left key on the keyboard) to enable the function.

User uploaded file

Check System Preferences>Keyboard to makes sure the box indicated in the image isn't ticked.

Jan 20, 2014 2:56 AM in response to ttku2709

One other feature which is not well documented - on later Mac System versions (it works on mine which is 10.7.5), if you hold down the shift and option keys on the keyboard and then press the F11 or F12 keys (to decrease or increase the volume respectively) the volume level will change in smaller steps. This is handy if you are trying to fine-tune the volume level and find that what you want is somewhere in between the normal settings.

how to use the options with F10, F11, F11 for turning the sound up or down or mute?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.