Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Instruments hangs indefinitely when collecting data

I've been encountering a recurring problem with the Instruments develoloper tools, reproducible on multiple Macs (running Mountain Lion and Mavericks) and with multiple iPhones (running iOS 7). Whenever I try to collect data on all processes for more than ~45 sec, using the Scheduling and/or Time Profiler tools, the program will hang indefinitely, and the data will be irretrievable. The longer I try recording, the lower the likelihood of success. Usually 20 secs is safe, but that is not enough time for my research. More to the point, I know that I am not exceeding my buffer limit (the data output is only on the order of 3-30 MB), and I'm using computers and devices that should easily be able to handle this kind of throughput. To me, this seems like a pretty serious instability in the Instruments software itself, which has made my research all but impractical. Thank you for any suggestions you can offer/attention you can devote to this!

Instruments-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jan 20, 2014 6:18 AM

1 reply

Instruments hangs indefinitely when collecting data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.