Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Images on desktop not showing thumbnail preview. Suggestions?

When I save images to my desktop, the image doesn't have a preview thumbnail image. This just started about two weeks ago. I'm running OS X 10.9.1 on my MBA I have not loaded any new software. It doesn't matter if it's a png file or a jpg file. The interesting thing is that after a reboot, the thumbnail image is there. But... When I add a new image to the desktop I get this image again until the next reboot.

User uploaded file

Here are a few at once

User uploaded file

Any suggestions on how I might correct this? Thank you in advance. Jeff

Posted on Jan 20, 2014 5:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2015 10:12 AM

I was having the same issue. All I did was go to VIEW in the finder toolbar, then VIEW OPTIONS and deselect and then reselect SHOW ICON PREVIEW. Apparently it reset everything, because all my thumbnail previews showed back. Hope it works for you too.

32 replies

Jan 22, 2014 8:49 AM in response to utahjeffutah

Hello Jeff,

It sounds like you are saving imgaes to your desktop but the thumbnails arent being generated automatically. Restarting seems to fix the issue for files since the last restart, but the issue persists with new messages. I had a few thoughts for things for you to try. First perform a Safe Boot and then retest it and see if that helps:

OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1564

To start up into Safe Mode (to Safe Boot), follow these steps.

1. Be sure your Mac is shut down.
  2. Press the power button.
  3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key.
    The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
  4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

After the logo appears, you should see a progress bar during startup. This indicates that your computer is performing a directory check as part of Safe Mode.

To leave Safe Mode, restart your computer without holding any keys during startup.

If the issue persists, next I would try verifying the disk and repairing any errors found, if any.
Disk Utility 12.x: Repair a disk

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH5836

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Sterling

Images on desktop not showing thumbnail preview. Suggestions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.