Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copy cell contents to another table without Duplications

I have a pool that I administrate and I have been manually inputting a lot of the data. I would like to find a way to "automate" the following functions. I apologize in advance if the answers are somewhere within the forum but I have been unable to locate them.

Question #1:

I want to fill all the names from the Player columns in Table 1 into Table 2 but not duplicate the entries. Would I use some form of the LOOKUP function?

Question #2:

I would like the amounts I fill in next to the Players in Table 2 Winnings column to copy to the corresponding Players Winnings column in Table 1.

Question #3:

I have 25 Weeks and 20 Participants in my sheets. I am using a dropdown list for choosing the Players in Table 1. I know that Numbers 09 cannot populate that dropdown list from another dynamic list so I could update them in just one place. I know this is possible in Excel but can it be done in the new version of Numbers?

Here is an example of what the sheets would look like:

TABLE 1 TABLE 2

User uploaded file

Thanks for any assistance with this.

- James

Numbers 09-OTHER

Posted on Jan 20, 2014 7:12 AM

21 replies

Jan 20, 2014 9:49 AM in response to jandscanada

Hi jandscanada,

It is possible to do what you are asking. But if I were approaching this problem I would find it easier to separate data entry from the display tables, rather than mixing them all together. It could look something like this:

User uploaded file

There are no formulas in the Data table. Then there is only one formula in the body of each of the other tables that extract views of your data.

'Player by week' table, in B2 copied right and down:

=SUMIFS(Data::$D,Data::$C,$A2,Data::$A,B$1)

'Participant by week' table, in B2 copied right and down:

=SUMIFS(Data::$D,Data::$B,$A2,Data::$A,B$1)

'Participant by player - week' table, in B2 copied right and down:

=SUMIFS(Data::$D,Data::$B,B$1,Data::$C,$A2,Data::$A,$A$1)

You can clone this table and enter different week numbers in A1.

etc., for other views of your data.

To get a list of distinct player names (i.e. no duplicates) you could do something like this:

User uploaded file

Formula in B2, copied down:

=COUNTIF(A$2:A2,A2)

Formula in C2, copied down:

=IF(B2=1,A2,"")

SG

Jan 20, 2014 10:12 AM in response to jandscanada

Here's another way to get a list of distinct values.

First sort the list with duplicates alphabetically.

User uploaded file

The formula in A2 of the Distinct Table simply refers to A2 of the Players table. It "seeds" the first value of the list of distinct values.

Then in A3, use this formula, and copy down:

=IFERROR(T(INDEX(Players::A,MATCH(A2,Players::A,1)+1)),"")

This only works properly if the orginal list with duplicates is sorted ascending.

SG

Jan 20, 2014 1:02 PM in response to jandscanada

Thanks so much for the input SGlll. I may be able to work in the solution to avoid duplicates. Unfortunately I would have to start from scratch to use some of the other suggestions.

I already have another sheet that gives the Earnings per Week/Event total for each participant. I don't need to keep track of the individual Players Earnings for the year.

I don't need the Participant by Week sheet as the same people are participating for all 25 weeks. Their player choices do change each week though. Below is screen shots of part my tables filled in from last year.

Table 1

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I was wondering if there was a function that would copy cells that contain Players for each Event from Table 1 to another Table and list them without duplicates. Then I would fill in the Earnings ($XXX) for that Player( Westwood, Woods, etc.)in Table 2 and it would populate the Earnings cell for them in Table 1.

Hopefully this isn't as confusing as it sounds to me!

- James

Jan 20, 2014 2:00 PM in response to jandscanada

Hi James,

You have a nice looking spreadsheet! However, you might actually save time in the end by setting things up from scratch so that you: 1) separate data input as much as possible from your display tables, 2) avoid merged cells (which are trouble).

Nevertheless, in Numbers 3 there is a way to simplify the entry of player earnings so you only have to do that once and the values are read into your Table 1 in various places. It could look like this (I've put letters and numbers in where you have headings to make the ranges easier to follow:

User uploaded file

The formula in A1 of the Earnings Input table, copied down, is:

=INDEX(UNION.RANGES(0,Table 1::$C$2:$C$7,Table 1::$F$2:$F$7,Table 1::$I$2:$I$7),ROW())

This formula (which works in Numbers 3 but uses a function that Numbers 2 doesn't have) reads the three ranges in your Table 1 for event 1, and lays out the values in a vertical list in the order that it finds them, including duplicates.

The formula in B1, copied down, is =COUNTIF(A$1:A1,A1). This is similar to the "Occurrence" column in a previous post.

The formula in C1, copied down, is =IF(B1=1,A1,""). This shows the player name if this is the first occurrence, otherwise inserts a blank.

Column D is where you fill in the player earnings that you want copied to various places in Table 1.

Then, in cell D2 of Table 1, you could put a lookup formula like this, copied down to D7, and also into G2:G7, and J2:J7:

=VLOOKUP(C2,Earnings Input::$C:$D,2,0)

This looks up the values from the last two columns of the Earnings Input table.

This should save you some headaches with duplicate data entry.

When you have time, though, you might consider using a simpler and more flexible data table plus summary tables approach. You can find more examples in the templates via File > New.

SG

Jan 20, 2014 2:23 PM in response to SGIII

Thanks again SG. Unfortunately I am still using Numbers 09. I think I will have to slog through using my manual method for this years pool. I'll download Numbers 3 and start rewriting the sheets for next years pool using some of your tips. I know I can have both versions on the same computer but I'll just have to make sure I open my old sheets in the 09 version. I am leary of converting the existing sheets over to Numbers 3 for fear of losing some of my existing functions.

I also have some tables that list the overall standings and $ behind the leader. I am not sure how they will port over to the new version of Numbers.

User uploaded file

- James

Jan 20, 2014 2:52 PM in response to jandscanada

Maybe someone here knows how to do a UNION.RANGES equivalent in Numbers 2.

Of course, there is also a semi-manual method that can still save you some time.

Instead of the formula in column A, just copy and paste successively from C2:C7, F2:F7, I2:I7 into the column. Then use the formulas in B and C to "dedupe." Then enter the values in D, and the VLOOKUP will pull them into Table 1.

Once you've got them as you want in Table 1, select the range, command-c to copy, then shift-command-v to Paste Formula Results, removing the VLOOKUP formula.

SG

Jan 20, 2014 4:14 PM in response to jandscanada

I think what I would do is create a Table 2 that has all the names from Table 1. It looks like there is a pattern to where the names are in Table 1 so it is possible to create a formula that would populate Table 2 with those names.

With all names in one long list, you can use one of the methods mentioned in various other posts to get the unique names with no duplicates into Table 3. I would think a search of the word Duplicate on this forum would result in some of those posts.

If you enter the earnings in Table 3, you can use LOOKUP functions throughout Table 1 to look up the earnings for each player. If, instead, you enter the earnings in Table 1, you can use LOOKUP functions in Table 3 to bring over the scores for each name. In this second case, though, if there is a duplicate name in Table 1 and they have different earnings, only one will be looked up for Table 3.

Jan 21, 2014 1:38 AM in response to jandscanada

Hi James,

I'd do a bit of reorganization here. One of the better working principals is to enter data once, then distribute it using formulas.

Start with a data entry table; one header row, three header columns (P(layer )No., Name and Total earnings), and one column for each week's event.

User uploaded file

The second table is your Table 1. Here's a reduced version for demonstration purposes.

User uploaded file

The only entries made 'manually' in this table are those in the header rows (except the two totals), in the header column, and in the column of numbers in the two narrow columns under the participants names.

On my table, I used a stepper cell, range 0-100 to set these numbers, then a VLOOKUP formula to collect the player Name and Winnings associated with that number from Table 1. One caution here—I found it fairly easy to miss the stepper controls and accidently open the Formula Editor and affect the formulas in the column to the right of the stepper.It might be adviseable to place a buffer column to the right of each column of stepper cells to lessen the likelihood of this happening.

I moved the weekly totals out of the column containing the winnings for the individual players to simplify the calculations of the current winnings totals for each participant. If you want to keep them in the same column as the individual player winnings, =SUM(D)/2 should give correct results for James without a lot of fuss.

Instructions below all refer to my sample tables, Cell positions will require revisions for your similar table.

Formulas:

Table 1 has one formula, entered in C2 and filled down: =SUM(2:2)

Table 2 Has several formulas:

B2: =SUM(B)

E2: =SUM(E)

B4: =IFERROR(VLOOKUP(C,Table 1 :: $A:$B,2,FALSE),"Choose ->>")

Confirm the entry by clicing Accept (green checkmark), then Copy the cell.

Click E4 and Paste. The result will be the formula below:

E4: =IFERROR(VLOOKUP(F,Table 1 :: $A:$B,2,FALSE),"Choose ->>")

I Filled these down through the rest of columns B and E, then replaced the copies in the Week n Total rows (7 and 11 in my example) with the ones below.

B7: =SUM(D4:D6)

As above, copy the cell after confirming the formula, then Paste into cells B11, E7 and E11.

D4: =IFERROR(VLOOKUP(C,Table 1 :: $A:$F,4,FALSE),"-")

As above, copy the cell, then Paste into cells G4, D8, G8, D12 and E12.

The C in the formula will automatically adjust (to F) for the formulas in column G. The 4, which determines the column from which the amounts are retrieved, must be edited for each group of formulas.

D2 and G2: Leave the 4 as is. Fill down to row 6 (last row for week 1)

D8 and G8: Change 4 to 5. Fill down to row 10 (last row for week 2)

D12 and E12: Change 4 to 6. Would be filled down to row 14. (last row for week 3)

Note: While it is not intended that the entry table (Table 1) be sorted, it is possible to do so without breaking the formulas, provided the player numbers in column A are fixed values.

Your two leader boards appear to be working. The only suggestion I'd have there is that the two of them could be combined into a single three column table.

Regards,

Barry

Jan 21, 2014 6:44 AM in response to Barry

Wow! Lots of great ideas there. The use of a Data Entry Table with all the Players names will really simplify things. I have been using the same template for 3 years and Players changed. At present they are in a drop down box that I copied to each location. Any time a new Player not on the original drop down box is needed, I've only added them in the cell they are being used. This will make it much easier to add new players.

We have a few "idiosyncrasies" to our golf pool. My Weekly Total contains a formula that Doubles or Quadruples the Captains amount depending upon their nationality. We are in Canada and there are not many Canadians on the PGA tour so we get "bonus" points for choosing a Canadian in the pool. I presently change that formula weekly depending upon the Participants choices.

Does this sound like it would work? I should be able to create 2 more rows for players in Table 1. One would be for a Canadian Captain(CC) and his winnings would be X4 in the weekly total formula. Another would be Canadian Non Captain(CNC) with the formula containing X2 for those winnings. The formula for the Weekly total could contain both and only be applied if there was a value next to the name.

After creating a Data Entry Table would you advise that I build my "Table 1" from scratch or try to modify my existing template by adding some columns and rows with the new information?

I should also be able to "publish" the list of choices after the entry deadline each week with just the Players names before adding any of the Earnings to the Table.

By the way Barry you helped me solve my sorting problem with the overall standings tables last year. Thanks again for that!

Jan 21, 2014 12:38 PM in response to jandscanada

Hi James,

Here's another plug for reorganizing and separating data input as much as possible from output, removing merged cells and using a simple grid structure in tables, and letting the spreadsheet interface do as much of the work as possible to reduce the need for a web of lookup formulas.

Here is a bare bones view of how this approach might work, using Barry's example dataset and incorporating the Canadian "idiosyncracy".

User uploaded file

'Player Earnings' and 'Picks' are input tables. Just enter a new line as needed with the relevant information in the unshaded columns. This may seem less compact and efficient than a row-column input matrix but simplifies life and allows you to apply filters efficiently to look at your data. You'll see that approach used in some of the Apple templates.

The shaded column in 'Player Earning's calculates the "Canadian special" adjusted earnings with a formula like this, in E2, filled down:

=IF(D2="CC",C2×4,IF(D2="CNC",C2×2,C2))

The shaded column in 'Picks' contains this formula in D2, filled down:

=SUMIFS(Player Earnings::$E,Player Earnings::$B,B2,Player Earnings::$A,C2)

From those two input tables you can pull out data in many different ways into output tables.

Here, in 'Participants by Week', the formula in B2, filled right and down, is:

=SUMIFS(Picks::$D,Picks::$B,$A2,Picks::$A,B$1)

In 'Participants Ranking' the formula in C2, filled down, is:

=SUMIFS(Picks::$D,Picks::$A,B2)

To get the ranking, just Sort Descending on column D. I have =ROW()−1 in A2, copied down, to keep the numbers in the Place column in order after a sort.

With the data set up like this, many other output tables become possible without much trouble, and can be gussied up as needed.

And, taking advantage of capabilities built into the spreadsheet user interface, to get a list of players in, say, week 2, just filter on the Week column, etc., etc.

I did this in Numbers 3, but this approach should work equally well in Numbers 2.

SG

Jan 23, 2014 10:14 AM in response to jandscanada

This is what I've done so far. I apologize for the long explanation.

Display Table

User uploaded file
I email everyone the Table showing Player choices after the entry deadline and then again with the results filled in, so I wanted to keep this format for ease of display.

Here is a list of the rules, which I hope will explain the reasons for some of what I've done.

- Pick a Captain and 5 other players.
- Receive 2X money for Captain's winnings.
- Receive 2X money for a Canadian player.
- Receive 4X money for a Canadian player picked as your Captain. Any other Canadians picked that week will only pay out at 1X their earnings.
- If you pick more than one Canadian player (none as Captain) you receive 2X the winnings of the one that finishes the highest and 1X for the others.

- I used extra Player cells to cover off the rules regarding the Canadians.

- Even if a person was to pick 3 Canadians (none as Captain) for a tournament only the highest finisher would receive X2 winnings so I only need one Cdn cell.

- It isn't a lot of trouble for me to move the names around after the completion of the tournament to fill in the one that finished the highest.

- If the participant picks a Canadian Captain (Cdn Cptn) he only receives 1X for his other Candians so they will just be put into the "Player" spots.

-I left the Event Total in the same spot as my old sheets.

Question #1: Can I "lock" the Player and Earnings cells so the formulas aren't accidentally deleted? Barry mentioned a "buffer column" but I wondered if there was another way around that.

Player Names and Earnings

User uploaded file User uploaded file

- I linked the Event name to the corresponding cell in the Display Table.

- I added a Player "-" under the 0 choice and used $0 to fill in unused cells with that amount.

- I created a rule to fill cells in Red for $0 and Green for >$0.

- The webpage I copied my list of players from brought over the hyper link that shows me all the stats regarding each player, including the amount of money that he has won in each tournament.

Question #2 (Don't put too much thought into this one as it is WAY out there) Could I somehow have a script (?) fill those amounts into my Players Earnings Table from the website? I'll search around a bit on my own for this one. If needed I can start another thread regarding this. It is NOT a priority, probably just wishful thinking.

Overall Earnings and Overall Place

User uploaded file

No changes here but I will be putting all into one sheet.

Weekly Earnings and Weekly Standing

User uploaded file

No changes here other than the name of the tournament is filled from the corresponding cell in the Display Table.

Weekly Cash Winners

User uploaded file

This Table displays the Weekly Winner and 2nd Place stats. They get $10 and $5 each. I presently put the participants names in manually but would like it to autofill from the Weekly Earnings and Weekly Standing Tables. That doesn't seem difficult but leaving the other cells blank for unplayed tournaments (e.g. 3- Honda Classic) may be a problem. I also always have to change my formula if there is a tie ($7.50 each).

I will tinker with this problem myself for awhile.

Thanks again to everyone for their assistance so far.

Comments, suggestions, criticisms?

- James

Jan 23, 2014 10:35 AM in response to jandscanada

Hi James,

Looking good.

Question #1: Can I "lock" the Player and Earnings cells so the formulas aren't accidentally deleted? Barry mentioned a "buffer column" but I wondered if there was another way around that.

In Numbers you can lock a table but not just specific cells within a table. Hence the value of separating data input and output as much as possible.

Question #2 (Don't put too much thought into this one as it is WAY out there) Could I somehow have a script (?) fill those amounts into my Players Earnings Table from the website?

Depending on the format of the web page you can get data and paste it into Numbers. If the data is in table format you can try copy and paste. If it is not in table format there are ways to "scrape" the data and put it in table format for importing into Numbers. One way is to use a library called Beautiful Soup (a free download) with a Python script (Python is already on your Mac). With Numbers 2 you could further automate the fetch and import using AppleScript. With Numbers 3 that (so far) is not a possible. All of this, of course, takes time to implement so you're probably best off with the existing manual method, unless, of course, the web page happens to have a table that you can just select, copy and paste.

SG

Copy cell contents to another table without Duplications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.