Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i delete "moments" off my photos?

My phone wont give me the option to delete "moments" off my photos and i dont want them they just take up space...what do i do?

iPhone 4, iOS 7.0.4, 8 GB

Posted on Jan 20, 2014 8:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2016 5:29 AM

I was having the same issue. The problem with this reply is that the photos don't appear anywhere else in Photos (not in albums, recently deleted, or anywhere). I solved the problem in the following way:

1. Connect the phone to your computer

2. open up itunes

3. select iPhone icon in iTunes

4. select "Photos" on the left pane

5. click "Sync Photos" and "Selected albums" but don't select any albums

6. Apply

7. Let the iPhone sync

8. Then uncheck "Sync Photos"

9. Let the iPhone sync again.

After that, the mysterious "moments" and "collections" disappeared. I think they were "out of sync" somehow. I hope this solution works for you as it did for me.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2016 5:29 AM in response to Xenophontis

I was having the same issue. The problem with this reply is that the photos don't appear anywhere else in Photos (not in albums, recently deleted, or anywhere). I solved the problem in the following way:

1. Connect the phone to your computer

2. open up itunes

3. select iPhone icon in iTunes

4. select "Photos" on the left pane

5. click "Sync Photos" and "Selected albums" but don't select any albums

6. Apply

7. Let the iPhone sync

8. Then uncheck "Sync Photos"

9. Let the iPhone sync again.

After that, the mysterious "moments" and "collections" disappeared. I think they were "out of sync" somehow. I hope this solution works for you as it did for me.

May 4, 2015 10:59 PM in response to elliefro

All of these replies are terrible. 😐

Try this:

1. Start from the homescreen of your Iphone/pod (for dummies: where all of your "apps" are).

2. Look for an app on your homescreen titled "Photos", when you find it - Click it.

3. When the app opens, go ahead and look towards the bottom of your phonescreen.

You should see a navigation with three different options;

"Photos", "Shared" & "Albums"; Why don't you just go ahead and click on "Albums", there we go - Very nice!

4. On the next screen that appears, it should display your different albums.

Look for "Recently Deleted", and when you find it - Click on it.

It should be on that list somewhere (or there's a problem!).

5. Now you should see a screen displaying all of the recent photos you've deleted.

The term we know as "recent" to iOS is thirty days (that's 720 hours in people-time!).

You will have to click to each individual photo, however at the bottom left-hand cornor of every photo take notice of the 'Delete' option.

You're welcome. 😉

Jan 22, 2014 2:02 PM in response to elliefro

Hey elliefro,

Thanks for the question. Photos automatically organizes your photos and videos by year, by collection, and by moment. This is merely a way to organize your photos, and is not taking up any extra space. However, if you wish to delete specific photos, you can tap on Albums > Camera Roll and delete them from there.

For more information, see the following:

View photos and videos - iPhone

http://help.apple.com/iphone/7/#/iph3d267610

Organize your photos and videos - iPhone

http://help.apple.com/iphone/7/#/iphf14943e

Thanks,

Matt M.

Aug 10, 2014 5:11 PM in response to matt00

Ok, I have seen this post million times in various forums without the answer.

what being asked is not how to delete photos from camera roll, we get that select trash icon etc but how to delete collections which do not appear iniPhoto when synced with iTunes etc, but are still on the IPhone, right?

So here is how I successfully did it To remove photo library where collections/ moments are stored.

launch iexplorer app, it may have a small purchasing fee if you don't have it on your mac.

The Photos section of iExplorer is read-only and is only for transferring photos and recorded videos to your computer, but you can still use iExplorer to entirely delete your Camera Roll and Photo Library by going into the Media folder and deleting the photo/video files and the photo database file which will empty the Photos app on your device.

Before taking these steps, just make VERY sure that you have backup copies of any of these photos or videos on your computer because once you delete them with iExplorer, you may not be able to get them back.

Here's a step-by-step way to delete all of your photos and recorded videos once you have them all backed up on your computer:

1. Make sure both the Photos and Camera apps are closed on your device. To make sure they're not running in the background, you can double tap the Home button and find the apps in the recents list. In iOS 7, swipe up on each app to fully close it. (Or, in iOS 6 and below, hold the icon of each app until a red minus sign appears and tap on the red minus sign.)
  2. Connect your device and go to the Media folder in the upper left panel of iExplorer.
  3. Open the DCIM folder and find the ###APPLE subfolder that contains your Camera Roll files.
  4. Right-click on that subfolder with the photo files and choose Delete. (If you also need to delete your Photo Library albums synced from iTunes, you can navigate to Media/PhotoData and delete the Sync folder which has those files)
  5. Now, you just need to delete the photos database file. It's located in Media/PhotoData and is called "Photos.sqlite". Just select it and right-click > Delete. Depending on your OS, just click on Media/PhotoData and click file delete, and delete the folder.
  6. Power off your device and power it back on, and your Photos app should now be empty with exception of the Camera roll if you wanted to miss step 3.

​Thanks
Grant

Oct 10, 2014 4:03 AM in response to elliefro

I'm pretty sure your problem is that the pictures are synced to your iTunes. I've got a different Iphone (5) and I don't update my iTunes so we've probably got different versions, but I think what I did should work for everyone. First plug your Iphone into your computer so it shows up as a "device" in iTunes. Click on the device and towards the top of the screen there should be a bunch of tabs you can go to (e.g. Info, Apps, Movies, etc.). I clicked on the Photos tab and just unchecked the sync option, which got rid of the moments.

Just be careful because when I did the unsync I'm pretty sure iTunes tried to copy all my apps over to my computer or something. I think I was lucky and just got an error message because I'd disabled the iTunes Store. I'd suggest disabling the Store before you do this, and then re-enabling it after, or just not caring because it probably isn't that big a deal anyways and you can just delete any new files later on.

Hope this helps everyone.

Mar 15, 2016 10:29 PM in response to elliefro

I'm having a similar issue

I bought a new iPhone and set up my current apple id on it and photos appeared in my moments which I'm 100% certain I'd deleted on my old phone - they definitely shouldn't have been in my icloud because it hasn't been set to back up photos. I also logged into my icloud and it says my icloud drive and icloud photo drives are empty, so why have old photos appeared on my new iPhone? Doesn't make any sense. Please advise.

how do i delete "moments" off my photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.