Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can i use a pay as you go sim in an unlocked iphone 5 that is currently under contract

Hi, can anyone tell me, before I buy an iPhone 5, if I can use it as a complete iPhone (calls & data etc.) just by buying a prepay pay as you go nano sim card from a phone shop (yoigo (spanish network), I live in Spain) and putting it in the phone? And will this activate it too? (Because its unactivated now)

The concerns that I have are that although the iPhone is unlocked, it is under contract until November 2014 (I know this from checking the IMEI number)

So will the fact that its under contract block any features or even block access to the iPhone?

Thanks,

Joe

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.5, Defiantly iOS 6.x.x no sure which

Posted on Jan 20, 2014 8:48 AM

6 replies

Jan 20, 2014 9:03 AM in response to xxJO32013xx

Not only would it be locked if under contract, but if that is not your contract, then the previous owner may have defaulted on their contract. In that case, the phone may also be blacklisted by the carrier and useless. And even if not, the carrier it is locked to is not going to unlock it until the contract terms have been met by the previous owner.

Jan 20, 2014 9:35 AM in response to xxJO32013xx

Im buying it from a second hand shop, I dont know where the owner got it but its not his contract or anything to do with him...

The iPhone is unlocked according to multiple different IMEI checks and under contract from 7/11/2012 to 7/11/2014

Is it possible that the previous owner used some sort of hack to unlock it

If this is the case that it is in fact unlocked can i use it as a phone with any sim?

Here is the imei check

http://iphoneimei.info/?imei=013404000090935

Jan 20, 2014 9:38 AM in response to xxJO32013xx

xxJO32013xx wrote:

Is it possible that the previous owner used some sort of hack to unlock it

Yup, and given all you have said, I'd count on it. I know of NO provider that will unlock a phone that is still under contract - none will do that. You must either finish the contract, or pay out the early termination fee before they will unlock.

Second, there is no online site that you can reliably check the lock status. Only Apple actually knows which devices in its database are unlocked, and they do NOT make that data available to public web sites.

I would not touch that deal with a 50 foot pole.

Jan 20, 2014 9:42 AM in response to xxJO32013xx

In addition to everything you have been told already, the probability is close to 100% that the phone was stolen. If it was there you will not be able to activate it on any network anywhere in the world, as Apple's antitheft Activation Lock feature will prevent its being activated. And owning any stolen property is a crime in itself.

Can i use a pay as you go sim in an unlocked iphone 5 that is currently under contract

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.