Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 10.0.1 exports to .mp4 from AVCHD .MTS files but adds popping/clicking in audio. Bug?

Very disappointed to discover that on my just purchased MacBook Pro 15" w/retina (8 GB RAM) the new iMovie is adding a popping/clicking noise in the output of a movie created from 1080i AVCHD .MTS files (Panasonic camcorder). iMovie imports the loose .MTS clips fine, and transcodes the .mp4 file out with great video quality but the audio issue is not acceptable. Is this a known bug? It starts to be audible later into the video so I suspect it is having trouble handling longer length .MTS files so I will try to import smaller clips and split the longer clips before exporting. I am using the "Export to File" pre set for output by the way.

If indeed iMovie is having an issue with reliably directly editing AVCHD .MTS files and transcoding, is there a way I can make it first transcode to an intermediate format/codec before editing and generating the output so it is less taxing on the program? I read that iMovie 9.0.9 did this with .MTS files (only from a full camera archive file structure though) but the new iMovie tries to work with the AVCHD natively. Maybe that is just going to be pushing the envelope at times.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 20, 2014 9:22 AM

5 replies

Jan 22, 2014 4:25 PM in response to C5Pilot

UPDATE: Apple Support was very helpful and worked with me to narrow this issue down to the point where it is clearly defined/repeatable and I was able to discover at least a workaround. Sharing here in case it can help anyone else.

Scenario: A certain .MTS AVCHD video clip file "Clip B" is imported into iMovie 10.0.1. and added to a movie timeline. When Clip B (about 8 minutes, 775MB) is preceded by another imported .MTS file, "Clip A", in the movie timeline, the result on playback is a popping and clicking in the audio track starting with Clip B in the movie. This is even more pronounced in the resulting rendered .out mp4 output file (using the export to file preset) but can be heard in imovie during preview playback too.

Zeroing in on the cause: No such issue occurs if Clip B is by itself in a movie, proving that Clip B itself is not corrupt with bad original audio. The issue still occurs whether Clip A precedes Clip B or even if a duplicate of Clip B precedes Clip B, thus disproving something corrupt in Clip A itself that causes a problem with later rendering Clip B. This leads to the conclusion that something in Clip B is a problem, but only for iMovie when it has to decode and render Clip B when it comes right after any other clip. By the way, these tests were done in multiple runs in fresh projects with all events/media deleted and re-imported in between, The issue persists even if using no transitions between the clips, no theme or autocontent added.

Workaround Discovery: In a new project with Clip A and Clip B added to the timeline, in that order, I split off the first 0.1 second of Clip B right at the head of it. I deleted that 0.1 second segment, and viola, no more issue at all.

Conclusion: Some type of data pattern in AVCHD .MTS clips can exist right in the very beginning of a clip (perhaps a header of some sort) such that when iMovie encounters it, but only after decoding another clip right before it, it creates an error in decoding after that point. iMovie then keeps on going and introduces corrupted audio in the resulting preview playback or rendered output movie file. So I guess I can just always trim off the first 0.1 second of every imported .MTS file and see if it never happens again, or not worry until another clip comes along that causes the same issue and then re-do the project taking that step. So far after importing about 20 different .MTS clips this only happened once and with luck it will be a rare issue. Otherwise, iMovie has been performing flawlessly with great results.

Jan 25, 2015 11:34 AM in response to C5Pilot

I'm having quite the same issue with .MTS files. It's very annoying and was randomly on a clip indeed and not on the original file.

Don't getting your explanation really though, I'm sorry I'm not very experienced with iMovie.

I imported three different files and want pieces of those files in my project.

Do I have to cut 0.1 sec on the second and third piece?

Hope Apple comes up with an update to fix it.

Jun 25, 2015 9:00 AM in response to C5Pilot

I had this same issue with a few big projects I have been working on. The audio plays fine inside of iMovie, but when I uploaded to Vimeo there was a loud intermittent clicking sound present throughout the video. Vimeo support looked into the issue and said the audio was present in the original video. I was doubtful, but to test it I exported the same video from iMovie into QuickTime and found that the clicking was indeed in that video as well. I'm not savvy enough to know exactly what the issue is, but I am using MTS files that were recorded on a Sony HD Handicam. Thankfully I found a solution that was a lot easier than the above. Here's how I did it.

- Detach the audio from the video

- Export the audio only to an MP3 file

- Mute the existing audio in iMovie

- Import the MP3 audio into iMovie

- Export the video to QT or the web

- NO MORE CLICKING!!!

This took me 5 minutes, and the audio perfectly matches the video, and is a lot easier than the above-mentioned solution. Hope this helps someone!

iMovie 10.0.1 exports to .mp4 from AVCHD .MTS files but adds popping/clicking in audio. Bug?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.