Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete .cleverfiles on my mac air ??

Hey Guys..!

I am troubling with my storage volume on my macbook air. My free space is only 3.63 gb and I do not how to handle it. I read some articles on the web and found out I have a lot of unnecessary items on ".cleverfiles" of Macintosh HD. They are probably locked document or something else cause whenever I try to delete them they appear again in the same file. Could you please help me how to delete them ?

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 20, 2014 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2017 1:30 AM

Show hidden files in Finder. Locate the .cleverfiles folder and move to the trash

6 replies

Jun 5, 2014 6:33 AM in response to ruanmczoza

I had the same problem. .cleverfiles is a hidden area created by the application Disk Drill. If "Guarenteed Protection" is enabled (i believe it is by default) it moves all deleted files to the hidden folder instead of actually deleting them. You can disable it altogether or configure to only keep certain Folders or only user a certain amount of space. I didn't know the feature existed and It was hard to find even after I read it exisited. From the main disk drill screen, expand the main drive, and select "Potect" next to the Hard Drive.

Aug 3, 2014 2:58 PM in response to neiljr2123

was puzzled for the longest time why I had so little disk space. i just installed/uninstalled disk drill about 5-6 times and it freed up 10-20 GB of space EACH time, make sure u check delete protected data during the install.

not sure how the .cleverfiles folder got created in the first place, about a year ago i had a disaster recovery scenario and i used disk drill to recover deleted data so maybe then?

How to delete .cleverfiles on my mac air ??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.