Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ringer/Notification volume differences

I've searched here, but haven't been able to find if there is a solution to the difference in ringer and notification sounds.

I have iPhone 4S running OS 7.0.4

My complaint is the lowest volume setting for notifications (since OS7 update) is too loud for night time when I have the phone on the nightstand next to the bed.

The ringer is just right at that setting. Just loud enough for me to hear and not startle me, but not so loud as to wake my wife. But if an email or text comes in, yikes!

If I turn the ringer up so I can hear it at work, the notifications are too loud!

I have Sound Check turned off, and "Change with Buttons" turned on.

As a test, if I make both the ringtone, and new email alert the same (Aurora in this case) and have the ringer at the lowest setting, the ringtone is barely audible, and the notification is loud enough to be heard by my coworker in the next cubicle.

Posted on Jan 20, 2014 10:05 AM

3 replies

Jan 20, 2014 10:14 AM in response to Elitegate

Not an option. I have environmental (server room temperature) and network monitoring notifications (routers/switches) that I need to hear, in addition to if there is an emergency and someone has to call me. I just need them to be the same volume. I know I can do custom ringers and sounds, but it really doesn't need to be that complicated for the end user.

Feb 9, 2014 5:15 AM in response to mtpiper

Just wanted to bump this topic.

Because of the massive feedback about ringer volume being too low and wanting it higher, I have found it nearly impossible to find a forum post with a final solution/answer to this.

I'm not sure if the update put out to fix the too-quiet complaint issue just shifted the entire volume spectrum up higher or something, but I agree with mtpiper that even at the absolute lowest volume setting, I find the ringer too loud for a lot of settings. I'm going to attempt to just make a custom ringtone in iTunes and see if base-volume levels are adjustable through that route, however I really think there needs to be a click on/off setting to be able to 'soften ringer volume' or something of that nature.

I could have sworn there was at one point, but I've digged and found nothing in settings.

Ringer/Notification volume differences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.