Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth fails when waking from safe sleep

The problem that I have encountered is that occasionally (maybe 3 out of 4 times), when I wake my Mac mini (late 2012) from safe sleep, bluetooth is malfunctioning in a strange way. Bluetooth is indicated as on in System Preferences and in the menubar, but cannot be turned off. If I attempt to turn bluetooth off, nothing happens. The trackpad is not indicated as connected, though it still partially works. I might have just used it to wake the computer (the problem occurs regardless of whether I use the trackpad or the power button to wake the computer). I can move the cursor around the screen and click on things if I press on the trackpad, but none of the gestures work – scrolling, swiping, zooming, etc. and I can't tap to click. When I go to the Trackpad preference pane, it thinks no trackpad is connected, and when I go to the Bluetooth preferences, the name of the bluetooth module shows as 'Name not available.'

For reference, I have an Apple Extended Keyboard with an iMate ADB/USB adapter and a Magic Trackpad as my input devices. I had used this Magic Trackpad and keyboard with a MacBook Pro (running Lion) for about two years without any major problems.

I have tried the following things to fix the problem:

• checked software update to make sure all updates are installed (except Mavericks)
  • unpaired trackpad from MacBook Pro
  • unpaired and repaired trackpad to Mac mini
  • reset NVRAM and SMC

Killing blued has no effect on the problem, nor does logging out and back in again. The only way I have found to fix the problem is to restart the computer. If I tried to turn bluetooth off before, once the computer restarts, bluetooth will be off.

Looking a little more closely in Console when these failures happen, I've noticed a pattern. Every time the computer wakes from safe sleep, it reports:

kernel[0]: [AppleMultitouchDevice::willTerminate] entered

kernel[0]: [AppleMultitouchDevice::stop] entered

Then a few seconds later, after the trackpad reconnects, the following four messages appear:

kernel[0]: [BNBTrackpadDevice::init][75.19] init is complete

kernel[0]: [BNBTrackpadDevice::handleStart][75.19] returning 1

kernel[0]: [AppleMultitouchHIDEventDriver::start] entered

kernel[0]: [AppleMultitouchDevice::start] entered

On the other hand, if bluetooth stops working, those messages don't appear, but I do get several of these:

blued[72]: BluetoothHCIWriteExtendedInquiryResponse returned 12

Again, killing blued doesn't make these messages stop, and they appear at sort of random intervals, usually in groups of 2-4, and usually several times before I give up and restart the computer. There's no indication prior to these messages that there's a problem with bluetooth, either from blued or the host controller.

Having to restart the computer almost every time I use it is a little tiresome. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jan 20, 2014 10:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2014 12:13 PM

iMate ADB/USB adapter

I suggest you disconnect that and use a keyboard that is less than 20 years old.

5 replies

Jan 22, 2014 7:13 PM in response to Linc Davis

I was able to borrow an unused Apple Keyboard (the current model) and since I've started using it, the problem I was having with bluetooth has not recurred. I don't think my sample size of wake from safe sleep events is large enough to say with certainty that the other keyboard was the cause, but it certainly looks that way. I'll report back in a day or two with another update.

Jan 24, 2014 8:50 PM in response to Linc Davis

Well, all signs point to the keyboard or the adapter being the cause of the problem. I switched to a USB keyboard five days ago, and since then I've had about 10 wake from safe sleep events, none of which have been followed by any bluetooth problems. It never would have occurred to me that something that was working before without trouble would have been the cause of these problems. In any case, thanks for your help.

Bluetooth fails when waking from safe sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.