Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I add video files to itunes??

I go to "add file to library" and choose the video file that I want but it doesn't upload it to iTunes

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 20, 2014 10:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2014 10:54 AM

It MUST be a supported format. Usually MP4 or M4V.

Though M4V is developed by Apple and is used to encode TV episodes, movies, and music videos in the iTunes Store, not all M4V files are produced by Apple and supported by Apple devices like iTunes, Apple TV, iPad. So if you got the M4V video from someone or somewhere instead of iTunes Store, iTunes will refuse to import and play those M4V files (especially the M4V movies that are not purchased through iTunes or the M4V video created using CloneDVD Mobile, downloaded from websites, converted by HandBrake or Toast 10 and etc).

In order to successfully import M4V to iTunes to play M4V in iTunes or sync M4V to iPad/iPhone/iPod/Apple TV, a recommended solution is to convert M4V to a format that iTunes can handle such as MP4, MOV.

Bigasoft iTunes Video Converter is just the right M4V to iTunes conversion software! It can fast convert iTunes unsupported M4V video to iTunes supported one. Besides converting M4V to iTunes, Bigasoft iTunes Video Converter also helps to convert other video formats like AVI, WMV, MKV, WTV, VOB, FLV, MPEG, 3GP, MXF, MP4, MOV, MVI, RMVB, F4V, SWF, ASF and etc to iTunes MP4 or MOV.

The following is a step-by-step guide on how to convert M4V to iTunes with the help of Bigasoft iTunes Video Converter. Note: This guide does not apply to convert a protected M4V by using Apple's FairPlay copyright protection.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2014 10:54 AM in response to yarooosh

It MUST be a supported format. Usually MP4 or M4V.

Though M4V is developed by Apple and is used to encode TV episodes, movies, and music videos in the iTunes Store, not all M4V files are produced by Apple and supported by Apple devices like iTunes, Apple TV, iPad. So if you got the M4V video from someone or somewhere instead of iTunes Store, iTunes will refuse to import and play those M4V files (especially the M4V movies that are not purchased through iTunes or the M4V video created using CloneDVD Mobile, downloaded from websites, converted by HandBrake or Toast 10 and etc).

In order to successfully import M4V to iTunes to play M4V in iTunes or sync M4V to iPad/iPhone/iPod/Apple TV, a recommended solution is to convert M4V to a format that iTunes can handle such as MP4, MOV.

Bigasoft iTunes Video Converter is just the right M4V to iTunes conversion software! It can fast convert iTunes unsupported M4V video to iTunes supported one. Besides converting M4V to iTunes, Bigasoft iTunes Video Converter also helps to convert other video formats like AVI, WMV, MKV, WTV, VOB, FLV, MPEG, 3GP, MXF, MP4, MOV, MVI, RMVB, F4V, SWF, ASF and etc to iTunes MP4 or MOV.

The following is a step-by-step guide on how to convert M4V to iTunes with the help of Bigasoft iTunes Video Converter. Note: This guide does not apply to convert a protected M4V by using Apple's FairPlay copyright protection.

Jan 20, 2014 11:19 AM in response to C F McBlob

Bigasoft iTunes Video Converter is just the right M4V to iTunes conversion software! It can fast convert iTunes unsupported M4V video to iTunes supported one.

As quoted from the Bigasoft website. 😐

There are many, many free conversion tools out there too (e.g., Handbrake, MPEGStreamclip).

.AVI is a very common format and will not play in iTunes for Mac.

May 21, 2014 5:43 PM in response to yarooosh

ok here is a legitimate solution that is in fact ironic.

C F Mcblob wrote M4V is an apple file that they use for purchases. They use this as a way to protect their MP4 files.

1. The irony here is that the m4v and mp4 file containers are identical in nature. 99.99% of m4v files can simple be changed to mp4 by clicking on the file name and changing the file extension to mp4 and then importing it to itunes. In fact, i just took an mkv,
  2. put it through handbrake.
  3. handbrake exports to m4v (but as you'll notice, hnadbrake actually calls it an mp4 when you are selecting the export file type.)
  4. Then i click the file name, changed the extension from m4v to mp4 and clicked enter.
  5. When prompted, click that you accept mp4 as the new extension.
  6. This will be capable of adding to itunes and playing on apple tv.

May 27, 2014 9:39 PM in response to chropro

I've tried a couple attempts at using Handbreak to rip this DVD in different formats from IPad to Normal. I tried chropro's suggestion and ITunes still didn't load it. It scans it but then never loads it.

The irony is I ripped it using Handbrakes IPad version which did load but was all garbbled and unwatchable. Just updated to 11.2 and thinking it's blocking it for some reason.

Still looking for suggestions to get this DVD loaded on our IPad. Thanks...

Aug 5, 2014 8:12 PM in response to yarooosh

I just purchased an iPad Mini for my son to specifically watch Netflix and his kid movies. We have a large collection of movies like Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo etc. I looked into which program would be best and everyone kept referring me to HandBrake. I downloaded it and tried it, works wonderful with iTunes and my iPhone 5, iPad, and iPad Mini. I don't really know what problem everyone else is having but it works as an .m4v file. I just ripped it to the desktop and pulled it to iTunes, then once loaded into iTune library I pulled it to the device. Easy as that, no problems so far.

Nov 5, 2015 11:30 AM in response to Nick189

I was successfully able to generate an MP4 format video using HandBrake and import it into iTunes. The file had format MP4, extension .m4v, video codec H.264 (x264), and audio codec AAC (CoreAudio).

When I dragged the resulting .m4v file into iTunes, it appeared in the following rather hidden Tunes location:

Movies > Home Movies

It took my a while to find it because the Movies tab defaults to Movies > My Movies, not Movies > Home Movies.

However, I was able to make the video appear in Movies > My Movies by right-clicking the video in iTunes, clicking on the Options tab, and changing "media kind" from "Home Movie" to "Movie".

How can I add video files to itunes??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.