Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The following Apple Push Notification Service certificates, created for AppleID XXX.gamil.com will expire on date. Running 10.9.1 server how do I renew? Thanks!!

The following Apple Push Notification Service certificates, created for AppleID XXX.gamil.com will expire on February 19, 2014. Revoking or allowing this certificate to expire will require existing devices to be re-enrolled with a new push certificate. You can renew your certificates with your OS X server administration tools. server.don.private - apns:com.apple.calendar
server.don.private - apns:com.apple.contact
server.don.private - apns:com.apple.mail
server.don.private - apns:com.apple.mgmt
server.don.private - apns:com.apple.alerts

I am running OS X 10.9.1 server on a Macmini how do to renew please?

Posted on Jan 20, 2014 10:54 AM

9 replies

Jun 5, 2017 3:03 AM in response to Alisa Hankus

As already mentioned the process for renewing an APNS certificate in Server.app is to go to Settings and edit the Apple Push Notification setting and then click renew.

However if your using a third-party MDM tool like as mentioned by BloodSucker - AirWatch the process is different, in this case you need to go to the Apple Push Certificate Portal. Typically to renew a third-party solution you use the third-party solution to generate a CSR aka Certificate Signing Request, you upload this via the Apple Push Certificate Portal and it then lets you download a new or renewed APNS certificate.

Jan 20, 2014 12:08 PM in response to Alisa Hankus

Server.app > select the server at the top of the left column > select Settings > select the Edit button to the right of enable Apple Push Notification > select Renew.

FWIW, I've previously logged an enhancement request with Apple, as this mechanism involves certificates, and isn't available on the certificates page within Server.app, nor is there a way to access the settings from the alert. This renewal mechanism just isn't as easy to find as it should be. You're not the first to be confounded by this stuff, in other words.

Nov 6, 2015 10:38 PM in response to jminhudson

It's crazy how there's so much ambiguity around APNS. The process used to be even harder years ago when you needed to be on the Enterprise Developer Program to manage APNS certificates. It astounds me that so many IT departments out in End User Computing land are not aware of this, when you consider the impact of an APNS certificate expiry.

I am looking for a white paper or spec sheet that details which specific functions require the APNS. Reason being, I have a client, who is managing their fleet of 200 ipads who failed to renew their certificate before it expired. They even had the nerve to challenge me on my claim that they even need or have an APNS Certificate on their Airwatch MDM console. Specifically, I need to know what funcionality I would lose.

Nov 22, 2016 9:31 AM in response to Alisa Hankus

I have been getting the 30/10 day notification: Apple Push Notification Service certificate expiration emails and I cannot get it to work.

server.app > server > enable push notifications > edit > enter apple ID/pw and it always comes back with an error each time of...

A local error (-1200) creating the push certificate request has occurred.

I am running Server version 2.25 (169.7) on a MacMini OS X version 10.5.8

The following Apple Push Notification Service certificates, created for AppleID XXX.gamil.com will expire on date. Running 10.9.1 server how do I renew? Thanks!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.