Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Subtitles On with Sound Effects Off?

I'm not sure if this is a Netflix issue or an Apple TV issue. There doesn't seem to be anything about it online (or, more likely, the search engines aren't doing a good job of returning results for +"sound effects off" +"subtitltes on").

For some foreign-language movies I have two options: 1) no subtitltes at all or 2) subtitltes AND sound effects. Option 1 is terrific for people who don't require a translation; option 2 is just obnoxious. Thankfully, I can watch most foreign-language films with subtitles and no sound effects, which is just right. I think it would be a very good idea to separate sound effects from subtitles (actually, pretty much a given). Yes, I have gone through the menus thoroughly to make sure the settings are as they should be. I'll alert Netflix as well, if I can find a place on their web page to do that. It would be good if Apple and Netflix could work together to get this right.

Posted on Jan 20, 2014 12:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2014 12:26 PM

I'll reply to my own question hoping it may help anyone else with the same problem who stumbles upon this thread. I contacted Netflix via their live on-line chat. It seems the problem is with their close-captioning. Their very nice rep said their technical folks would work on it. So, if you're watching Netflix and have the same problem, I hope your issue will be resolved after contacting Netflix.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2014 12:26 PM in response to TOSONA

I'll reply to my own question hoping it may help anyone else with the same problem who stumbles upon this thread. I contacted Netflix via their live on-line chat. It seems the problem is with their close-captioning. Their very nice rep said their technical folks would work on it. So, if you're watching Netflix and have the same problem, I hope your issue will be resolved after contacting Netflix.

Subtitles On with Sound Effects Off?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.