Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing previous iTunes library

Hi,

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (SP1) and iTunes 11.1.3

I've just installed a new hard drive. I backed up my entire iTunes folder from my previous drive, and it's now on the new drive.

I've followed instructions on changing the file path for the iTunes folder (Preferences>Advanced>Change), and I've ticked Keep iTunes Media Folder Organised and ticked Copy Files to iTunes Media Folder When Adding To Library. With iTunes closed, I deleted the iTunes Media folder from Libraries>Music>My Music>iTunes so as to avoid confusion.

When I made the change, iTunes asked whether I wanted to move/rename files in my new library... I said 'No'. I thought maybe I should have said 'Yes', but despite clicking Reset All Dialogue Warnings, this message does not reappear when I change the file path again.

When I reopen iTunes, it seems to recreate an iTunes folder in Libraries>Music>My Music>iTunes. Although the file path is correct in the Preferences>Advanced tab, it is not showing any of the content from my old library - only purchased items in iCloud that are available for download under my account.

I do not want my music stored at Libraries>Music>My Music... I just want iTunes to use the path I specify (the new folder location is automatically backed up, so any changes I make to my iTunes library in the future will also be automatically backed up).

How do I stop iTunes recreating and using the Libraries>Music>My Music folder, and instead just use the file path I specify where my previous iTunes library is now stored? The iTunes folder was copied from the old drive in its entirety, so all iTunes library files (including playlist info, play counts, artwork etc., etc.,) should still be there and I assumed iTunes would just find them so they would be available as before?

I do use iTunes Match, but I have not yet switched this on as I'm worried this might confuse iTunes still further!

Any help or advice much appreciated.

Ian

PC, Windows XP

Posted on Jan 20, 2014 11:58 AM

There are no replies.

Importing previous iTunes library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.