Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing up files

Hi,

I would like to know the best software to use to back up files.

I have a large music collection which currently sits on my Mac Mini, I would like to set up a weekly back up that checks what files are new and only copies the new files. these files will be then copied to a 3TB USB3 hard drive.

If anyones knows of free software than will do this please let me know

Cheers

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 2.6 GHz i7

Posted on Jan 20, 2014 2:52 PM

5 replies

Mar 29, 2015 4:41 AM in response to flexifoil28

Both Csound1 and kmsimspson2000 are right. Essentially, Time Machine already does what you want. You can also use the Options screen to select items you want to exclude from the backup, including folders and even drives.

If I was you I would just get Time Machine to start backing up to your 3TB hard drive, as the 500GB one you're using almost certainly isn't large enough to cater to your needs. You could also choose to partition your 3TB drive (using Disk Utility) and then select only one of those partitions for your Time Machine backups and use the other one for an external drive.

Backing up files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.