Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

epub distorts a pages TOC

Using Pages, I have made a text document with specific chapters. I then generated a Table of Contents linked to the specific pages.

When the document was exported as an ePub file, I received a message that ePub did not support certain matters and it distorted the TOC as to make it unusable.

The Pages version is the latest available.

OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 20, 2014 4:07 PM

14 replies

Jan 21, 2014 12:32 AM in response to DLong271

Unfortunately, Peter, your suggestion did not work. Using Pages v4.03 I build the document. However, when I export to ePub I get a message that says:

Export Warning - Some style settings, including multiple columns, table styles, and character formatting, aren’t supported. Your document might look different.

Export Warning - Headers and footers aren’t supported and were removed.

Whenl the epub file is examined, the TOC has been either removed, condensed, partly removed, etc.

I would be very appreciative if someone could point to a way that would avoid this problem. There are only 5 chapters, but it would be very useful if readers could go immediately to a Chapter simply by clicking on the page number in the TOC.

Many thanks

Jan 21, 2014 4:32 AM in response to DLong271

I am afraid the whole exercise evades me. I have thirty thousand words in five chapters. I opened the word documents in Pages and applied the appropriate styles.

I created a TOC and exported the end product to epub. There is no TOC in the result.

I omit the TOC and eport to epub. No TOC in the result. This I find difficult to believe because the Apple support page specifically says:

Documents exported to the ePub format automatically appear with page breaks before every chapter. A table of contents is automatically generated,.

Not on my machine it's not.

I downloaded the pages to epub template and it says import the styles into a new page. then the machine asks me if I want to upgrade the template even though I am using the latest Pages app. It is all very confusing.

I am sure I am doing something wrong but I'm %888(*- if I can work out what. Maybe Apple should release a manual. I've noted quite a lot of complaints already about Pages.

Message was edited by: DLong271

Jan 21, 2014 1:30 PM in response to fruhulda

Hi fruhulda. I do appreciate all the assistance you people out there are giving me. I am sure it is me who is the problem.

1. I did not use the template provided by Apple as the base for my document. I was under the impression that it was possible to produce an epub document simply by applying the various criteria that Pages demand. The items for the TOC were given styles as the TOC box demanded.

The document in Pages worked well with its own TOC which worked. It is in the translation to an Epub book that the fun begins and the TOC either disappears altogether or it is 'rearranged' or it is moved to the front of the book and becomes for some reason, a rearranged first page. None of which are acceptable.

2. I have the template but it would be useful if the various styles were available unilaterally to all Pages docs.

3. Perhaps my problem was that the original document was a word doc and it was opened in Pages and then the styles applied.

I don't know what it is; but it is annoying.

regards

David

Jan 21, 2014 1:48 PM in response to DLong271

You are not the only one to report this.

ePubs are weird beasts cobbled out of bubble gum and string by people who should know better. But don't.

The naming and positioning of certain text seems to be important. I think Chapters actually have to use the word Chapter for example and definitely use the One True Chapter Style which is why Apple gives you the template to start from.

I haven't gone there but there have been ePub authors here who gave detailed instructions how they achieved it.

Do a search on ePub and see what you get.

Peter

btw Pages '09 can import Styles, typically Pages 5 can't.

epub distorts a pages TOC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.