Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant question re new 10.8 Mini set-up

Hi. I'm transitioning to a new Mac Mini quad i7 with 10.8 installed - replacing an older 5,1 IMac running SnowLeopard as

my primary recording studio machine.

I will keep the IMac as a backup with SL, but it had been glitchy on 10.6 with certain must-use audio/recording apps and

I debated and then decided to just run Migration Assistant from the IMac to the Mini. Question in retrospect is - could i be

bringing over any problems from the SL OS to the new Mini OS in choosing to go that route? There were a few odd anomalies

going on with the IMac randomly like finder crashes and some odd behavior with apps crashing. Still, manual migration would

be pretty time consuming and tedious and i figured i'd go for it with MA. I just wondered what the chances might be of any

problems that 'might' have been System related somehow getting transferred over to the Lion machine -- or would those just

be resolved by the fact that i'm running on an entirely new OS. ?

Also if i run into any peculiarities as far as certain items being locked with 'permissions' issues - is that just a simple matter of

tweaking everything to be Read-Write accessible by "Everyone" - it'd be nice if there was a universal way to apply that to every

folder and file on the entire computer - as i am the only one who needs to access it so the security thing is a non-issue in this

situation.

Thanks,

Mike

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 20, 2014 5:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2014 11:00 AM

As long as you do not transfer System files or user files, that should pretty much eliminate the potential for errors. Before migrating, do a backup just in case.

Check to make sure your applications are compatible. PowerPC applications are no longer supported.

Application Compatibility

Applications Compatibility (2)

Permission problems can usually be fixed by the method you mentioned, although sometimes stronger action is required.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2014 11:00 AM in response to MIKEinMICH

As long as you do not transfer System files or user files, that should pretty much eliminate the potential for errors. Before migrating, do a backup just in case.

Check to make sure your applications are compatible. PowerPC applications are no longer supported.

Application Compatibility

Applications Compatibility (2)

Permission problems can usually be fixed by the method you mentioned, although sometimes stronger action is required.

Migration Assistant question re new 10.8 Mini set-up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.