Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has anyone successfully installed Windows 8.1 through bootcamp?

Need help installing Windows 8.1 through bootcamp. I would appreciate any guidance since bootcamp is asking for the iso file? How can I get the iso file onto the usb drive?

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 20, 2014 4:48 PM

3 replies

Jan 21, 2014 12:27 AM in response to kldalex

Short answer: I cheated.

I'm running a Macbook Pro 15" Retina display without an optical drive. Fortunately, I also have a Windows 7 box that I used to create a .iso from my Windows 8.1 Pro DVD, and transfered that onto a USB Flash Drive that I let Boot Camp Assistant work with to create the volume needed to set up Boot Camp and install Windows 8.1.

I read some articles that talked about being able to download an .iso from Microsoft directly. You might want to search online or the Microsoft site to find out options for downloading the correct .iso from them. As long as you already have the product key you purchased, it's not like they lose a sale.

Other than that, I couldn't figure it out.

If you're on an iMac or have a SuperDrive there may be options within Disk Utility to read the Windows 8.1 DVD and create a .iso file from there.

Can't swear to it, but if I couldn't have "cheated" those were the things I'd have investigated.

Good luck!

Jan 21, 2014 12:48 PM in response to Number88

I ran into a couple minor problems during my windows 8.1 installation. I usually work with my MBP "docked" with a connection to an older 24" Apple Cinema Display and an external USB keyboard and mouse. I noticed the keyboard entry of my product key was wonky, and after typing the key in using the MBP keyboard the external display when entirely blank. I had to disconnect the external gear and work with the MBP itself.

I guessed those were the result of driver issues when it came to accurately mapping my keyboard strokes and recognizing the external monitor.

Once I finished the 8.1 install and then installed the Boot Camp items (as mentioned in the instructions) it looked like it was using my built-in dispay properly. I haven't tried running Windows 8.1 while "docked" but I'm expecting it will work, too.

Has anyone successfully installed Windows 8.1 through bootcamp?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.