Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to know selected files size (in GB) in Aperture?

Hi. Is there a way to select some files (Library>Photos and then using the Filters, for example) and then determine their combined size in GB? Simple as that. I'm reading and looking for functions with no success. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jan 20, 2014 5:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2014 6:58 PM

If you add the rule Aperture Metadata there is a filter for file size but that refers to the original.

User uploaded file

Versions in Aperture have no size until they are exported and then the export parameters will determine the final file size.

But there is no way to do the addition in Aperture without writing a script

8 replies

Jan 21, 2014 4:13 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Thanks for the reply but this is the opposite thing - this is a tip for selecting some photos based on the file size using filters.

The task I would like to know (and don't know how) is, after I select some files (say I click 3 photos while pressing Command) I can check the combined file size (the sum of photo1 size, photo2 size and photo3 size). For example, each photo has 5 MB, I click those 3 photos while pressing Command (selecting them), I would like Aperture to show me somewhere 15 MB. Is that a way to do that?

(Obviously this is a simple example, I intend to do that with lots of photos and videos, not 2 or 3)

Thanks

Jan 21, 2014 4:40 PM in response to thiagocfm

Frank may have buried the lede:

But there is no way to do the addition in Aperture without writing a script

but he didn't put it out of sight.

Sorry.

Do note -- as Frank also mentions -- that you are asking for a number that doesn't exist. You don't select files in Aperture -- you select Images. Each Image is rendered on-the-fly from two files: the Original, and the Version (it's a text file of instructions). The Images have no knowable file size, because (to the user) they are not files. The Originals have a file size, and exported Images -- export means, "Make me a file using these settings from this Image -- have a file size. You may want to know the total storage requirements of the Originals of the Images you've selected in Aperture. There is no way to do that (afaik) without ... writing a script.

Aperture is what it is. We users can only report on that.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger - spelling and formatting.

Jan 22, 2014 11:04 AM in response to léonie

léonie wrote:

... to open the dictionary as well. You are really good for expanding my vocabulary. 😀

That's why Steve Jobs gave us all three fingers!

😁 .

(Three-finger tap opens pane showing word in dictionary, thesaurus, and Wikipedia {all clickable links}. Three-finger tap on file in Finder opens/closes Quick Look. I use this scores* of times a day.)

(* Definition 2 in the OS X built-in dictionary.)

Btw -- I have, somewhere, my pocket Duden with every word I ever looked up highlighted.

Is there a way to know selected files size (in GB) in Aperture?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.