Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Move boot volume

How to move my boot drive to another volume? I know how to change the boot drive in system settings. I have three drives in my Mac Pro and want to permanently change to call it drive 2, a larger disk in bay 2 of my pro. I have a clone of the Macintosh disk using CCC. Seems like I can just boot to this, which works but, how do I make that change permanent ? Then, use bootcamp to dual boot unix?

Thanks

Mac OS X (10.7.5), iPod-60gb, iPad, MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 20, 2014 7:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2014 7:42 PM

Use Startup Disk preferences to permanently change a boot volume. Sounds like that's all you need to do.

6 replies

Jan 20, 2014 7:51 PM in response to Kappy

So. Changing preference to whatever I call disk2 ? Don't know why I'm confused, but should I set disk 2 for boot camp first? Using boot camp assistant only brings Windows options. I want to dual boot OSX and Unix? So there's no contextual help there? I could stick with disk1 but felt like this would be safer? I have multiple back ups. So I could erase all my internal drives and not lose data, but I'm paranoid !

Jan 20, 2014 8:00 PM in response to BluesMan

Startup Disk preferences can be used to permanently choose any bootable volume as a startup volume regardless of what OS is installed on it. This includes single drives with multiple bootable partitions. So if you have OS X and Windows on the same drive you use Startup Disk to set the default boot partition.

If you install Unix, then you no longer can use Boot Camp for Windows because Boot Camp does not permit three partitions on the drive.

You can also use Startup Disk if you put each OS on a separate drive except for Unix. I'm not sure why you want to use Unix when OS X is Unix.

Boot Camp will not dual boot OS X and Unix. Only OS X and Windows. Boot Camp has no support for Unix.

Jan 21, 2014 6:47 AM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:

Startup Disk preferences can be used to permanently choose any bootable volume as a startup volume regardless of what OS is installed on it. This includes single drives with multiple bootable partitions. So if you have OS X and Windows on the same drive you use Startup Disk to set the default boot partition.

If you install Unix, then you no longer can use Boot Camp for Windows because Boot Camp does not permit three partitions on the drive.

You can also use Startup Disk if you put each OS on a separate drive except for Unix. I'm not sure why you want to use Unix when OS X is Unix.

Boot Camp will not dual boot OS X and Unix. Only OS X and Windows. Boot Camp has no support for Unix.

I get it, now that I have looked at Startup Disk preferences again. I have not yet used Bootcamp. I use Parallels to run Window in my OSX drive.

I should have been more specific. I actually want to run the Ubuntu build of Linux. More of a learning thing than any specific need. I am running it now, but using Vbox, which is a free virtualization manager from Oracle. Parallels did not want to install Ubuntu.

This might turn out to be shortlived anyway; so maybe best to leave well enough alone. Helped me to understand Boot Camps provisions. Thanks

Move boot volume

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.