Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

For my purposes, should I install Boot Camp or Parallels?

I have a three year old iMac running Mavericks with 8 gigs of RAM. I want to take a class that teaches 3D design using 3ds Max. If I do I'm going to need to use a Windows platform to run the software. Never having used either one, would I be better off using Boot Camp or Parallels? Also, I haven't used Windows since I had Vista installed on a Dell laptop, which was a major proponent for my switch over to a large Mac. But I hated Vista!!! Now I believe they're up to Windows 8. Is Windows 8 better than 7?

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 20, 2014 9:04 PM

4 replies

Jan 22, 2014 5:12 AM in response to The-Donz

Windows 7 is better than windows 8 for many reasons but either are workable. I prefer parallels when I need windows (in fact I don't have a bootcamp partition) because I like to have access to my mail, calendar, iTunes, ... If your application will work with parallels then I would go parallels+win7. It won't be as fast as bootcamp but since it is a class, maybe speed isn't your top concern.

win7 cost money

parallels cost money

bootcamp is free

good luck.

For my purposes, should I install Boot Camp or Parallels?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.