Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I download Apple TV 3 update then bring the .DMG home to install via itunes?

We live on our yacht with only 3G. I do have access to a nice cafe with free wifi. So if I can find out the v6 update URL I can fetch it home to the boat.

How can I learn the URL? Can itunes do the update given the file?

Taking the ATV into town is going to be ugly. I don't have micro USB So can't use MBP. So need a screen + power cable , messy!

Posted on Jan 20, 2014 8:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2014 8:35 PM

Unfortunately, the only 2 options are updating directly or connecting through iTunes via micro usb, which restores the unit.

6 replies

Jan 20, 2014 10:19 PM in response to vazandrew

Thanks, it works - what an improvement?

How do you estimate how long it takes ATV to buffer AirPlay and begin display? I'm testing on ethernet to establish a baseline - then I can repeat the trials with wifi.

Also, even with ethernet I'm seeing the error "An error occurred loading this content." after a couple of minutes on some 50 minute videos I've tried.

This is brand new ATV3 bought by my daughter Palo Alto Apple Store for christmas pressie for us in NZ. It is running 5.3 not the current release.

I bought her family an ATV2 a year or so ago. I don't recall that it needed more than say 20 seconds to start playing AirPlay source.

Once I get wifi stable then we can use Remote.app on our iPads. That will be nice. I can take the battery out of the remote.

Jan 21, 2014 12:07 AM in response to vazandrew

I really appreciate the troubleshooting-angel guide. I've not used istumbler for years, then just to find networks. And I was not investigating our wireless network because it has worked well for years and worked well with AirServer on MacPro.

Long story short, I had forgotten that I had dialed down the power on our ECB3500 router to 11dbm to reduce interference with our external long range wifi. Which we aren't using right now, because we are on 3G.

Increased power on ECB3500 to 23dbm, now istumbler reports 65 to 80% signal, 13% noise. And ATV startup times are acceptable. More testing needed.

You got me out of my hole - thank you.

Can I download Apple TV 3 update then bring the .DMG home to install via itunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.