Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I've lost iPhoto following upgrading from Snow Leopard to Lion on my 2008 Macbook

I recently upgraded the OS to Lion on my old 2008 'book, but for some reason it's uninstalled iPhoto. When I log into the app store, it shows the newest iPhoto as purchased (I have Mavericks on my home iMac), but it won't let me install the newest version because it's not Lion compatible. That's fine, but I'd still like to be able to access my cloud photo library from my book. Can anyone advise on where to find a download for iPhoto 9?

Cheers

Link

Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 21, 2014 2:32 AM

10 replies

Jan 21, 2014 4:57 AM in response to Yer_Man

Unfortunately I'm a student and so all my discs are in the box which are in storage at my grandmother's house.

Before I travel across the country and dig through a garage full of things, I need to know it'll work. The system restore discs that came with my Mac were the OSX 10.4 Leopard ones, from 2008. I don't know if that'll have the right version of iPhoto for OS Lion, or if it'll work with the new operating system. Do you know that, or if there's anywhere that I can find it out?

Cheers

Link

Jan 21, 2014 10:03 AM in response to linkaneo

An option that will be quicker and less expensive would be to upgrade to Mavericks and purchase iPhoto from the App Store.

iPhoto 6 or 7 came with Leopard, depending on the date. They will work with Lion but neither will be compatible with the Apple Print store, i.e. you can't order any iPhoto items from Apple.

Any you look at it you'll eventuially have to purchase iPhoto if you ever upgrade to Mavericks or beyond. Might as well do it now.

OT

Jan 22, 2014 4:07 AM in response to Old Toad

I'd love to upgrade to Mavericks; I have it on my iMac and I have the newest iPhoto on there (which i didn't have to pay for). Unfortunately, I have the old white plastic Macbook and when I tried installing Mavericks, even though i've upgraded the hardware, it's "not compatible" and won't let me install.

I needed to upgrade for a software that I use, but apparently my book only supports up to Lion (not even Mountain Lion). I'll be getting a new book next autumn, so I guess I'll just have to wait until then. I'm just confused as to why the version of iPhoto I had was removed upon upgrading in the first place.

Jan 22, 2014 4:49 AM in response to Yer_Man

Okay, fair enough. So I was running an old version of iPhoto that's incompatible with Lion and it was moved. which means that even if I used my System Restore disc, that version of iPhoto won't be compatible. The version available in the App Store is also not compatible because it's new, meaning I'm in a weird software limbo!

Does this mean there's no way of getting a version of iPhoto compatible with my book? Because that seems really weird :/

Jan 22, 2014 5:23 AM in response to Yer_Man

I had the '09 versions, my friend put them on when he upgraded me to Snow Leopard back around 2010.

I've just had a look on Amazon, and apparently iLife '09 is either £36 or £70. Given I had it to begin with, I'm reluctant to pay such a large amount of money to have it again after I've just had to pay to upgrade to an operating system that I already owned on another computer.

The weirdest bit is that iLife includes Garageband and iMovie, right? I still have Garageband and iMovie '09, and I've just checked and they still work. Just no iPhoto. I've checked my apps folder and tried spotlight. Confused.

I've lost iPhoto following upgrading from Snow Leopard to Lion on my 2008 Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.