Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2010 iMac Bootcamp issues with SSD...

iMac mid 2010.

Bootcamp succesfuly installed on single 3.5" 2Tb disk, Windows 7 boots up properly and without any issues!!!

Windows 7 installed using optical drive and USB stick with Bootcamp drivers.

However when installed on SSD drive does not boot. It gets stuck on blinking cursor and black screen...

First of all it was the same instalation disk that worked with 2tb drive. Just in case I tried couple other ones but same issue...

The only way to start the Windows is to boot from Windows installation DVD and then Windows works properly...

I spent couple of days trying all possible options, opened and closed my poor iMac so many times...

Instaled and removed Windows dozen of times... But no luck in starting the Windows from SSD...

I read everything online about the ATI drivers and all other issues and tried everything but no luck...

Unattended instalation off drivers and all other recomendations...

So the drivers are not the issue as the Windows gets installed on HDD without any problems and boots up...

I tried leaving only one drive in iMac (SSD) connecting it to sata 1 and then to sata 2 connector but same thing...

Tried all option using easy bcd software while on windows...

Tried all of the options using repair windows and all of the commands...

Code: Bootrec.exe /FixMbr

Code: Bootrec.exe /FixBoot

Code: Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd

However nothing works...

I tried couple of SSD drives (yes i purchased second intel SSD drive thinking that OCZ I tried initialy has some issues) but the same scenario repeats....

I also tried to use winclone to clone working bootcamp partition from 2Tb drive to partition on SSD but as I expected same problem... 😟

Any other sugestions... 🙂

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 21, 2014 2:51 AM

2 replies

Jan 21, 2014 3:14 AM in response to digitalsss

I found this on the other topic so I will try it...

Here are the steps to fix the MBR for Windows 7:

• Shut down your Mac
  • While holding down the "Command" and "S" keys, power on the Mac
  • Keep holding down these keys till you see a black DOS-like screen with white text
  • wait till you get a # mark allowing you to type commands
  • type in fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0 and press enter
  • If asked to create a new MBR, press y
  • once the operation is complete, type exit
  • Wait till it boots to Mac OS X
  • Insert your Windows 7 Installation DVD and restart your Mac
  • After the Mac booting chime, pres and hold the Option key
  • You should get options to select Mac OSX, another hard disk or the Windows DVD
  • Select the Windows DVD
  • Now you're in Windows land. Wait till it's done loading.
  • On the Setup screen where it shows options for language etc. press the Next button
  • In the second screen click the "Repair Your Computer" button
  • This brings you to a dialog where you are to select your windows install. If you don't see anything listed, don't worry. Select the radio button related to recovery tools and pres next.
  • You will get a window with links to several tools. Select "Startup Repair"
  • If the operation completes and asks you to restart, click Finish
  • Keep the Windows 7 DVD in the drive, boot into Windows 7 setup again.
  • Navigate to the Recovery Tools section again, This time click on the Command Prompt option.
  • Type in bootrec.exe /fixmbr, hit Enter.
  • Type in bootrec.exe /fixboot, hit Enter.
  • Restart your Mac.

Jan 23, 2014 12:26 PM in response to digitalsss

As far as I can see so far main issue is with SATA controller in iMac and SSD drives I tried to use...

I will try to get SSD with SATA 2 controller or one that works for sure in iMac and does not have any issues negotiating speed as SATA 2...

I installed regular 2.5" SATA disk and installation went smooth without any issues...

However as soon as I install one of the two SSD drives I have (OCZ Agility 4 and Intel 330) I can not boot into bootcamp partition on my existing 2tb drive I have in iMac... as soon as I disconnect SSD I am able to boot...

It looks some of SSD drives are more compatible with 2010 iMac I have...

2010 iMac Bootcamp issues with SSD...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.