Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air Haswell-doesn't wake up

As mentioned in the title, literally, my Macbook Air doesn't wake up occasionally.

Sometimes (3 or 4 times out of 3-50) when i close the lid of my notebook and open, nothing appears but the black screen appears and only the light of the keyboard glows. No input(including trackpad and the keyboard) helps get out of the black screen and the only thing i should do is to turn the power of and turn it on again.

It seems that some users using Macbook Air Haswell and some Macbook Pro models. And some explains it happens because of chrome browser. I purchased this notebook about a week ago and I can get a new one by contacting Apple Store. Should I get a new one and see if it happens? or should i just restore my notebook and see if it happens again? It's quite confusing and frustrating.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 128GB (Sandisk SSD) SSD, 4GB RAM

Posted on Jan 21, 2014 5:31 AM

3 replies

Jan 21, 2014 7:47 AM in response to happyeric

The warranty entitles you to complimentary phone support for the first 90 days of ownership.

If you bought the product in the U.S. directly from Apple (not from a reseller), you have 14 days from the date of delivery in which to exchange or return it for a refund. In other countries, the return policy may be different. If you bought from a reseller, its return policy applies.

Jan 21, 2014 8:47 AM in response to happyeric

As Linc says, use the phone support, but you may find that Apple tell you a fix is in the pipeline.

There appears to be a glitch with current MBA's where, if it goes to sleep and you try to wake it immediately, it can freeze (search this forum for MBA won't wake from sleep, MBA crash to black screen and similar for loads of info - for example this massive thread https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5118135?start=0&tstart=0). Your description of what happens matches this picture exactly. Until Apple come up with a fix, you can either switch off sleep or resist the temptation to wake the MBA too quickly after it goes into sleep mode.

Some of us (including me) found this unsatisfactory - particularly as Apple are taking a lot longer to find a solution than they originally claimed - and got a refund. In my case I put the money towards a retina MBP.

As for the Chrome issue, I do not and have never used Chrome but was plagued by the problem nevertheless.

By all means get a replacement using the 14 day exchange, but you may well find that the new MBA does the same (this is what I did within the first 14 days and the replacement was no different). If you decide the problem is unacceptable, you could consider a refund - then the choice is yours whether to wait, jump ship to a PC or get a different Mac.

Macbook Air Haswell-doesn't wake up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.