Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I lock Audio clip at playhead in iMovie

Hi,

I have been using iMovie HD for years. Great program. Finally had to move on to iMovie 10. What a total disaster that is. I have a myriad of issues with it, as does everyone else, but right now I am trying to figure out how to lock an audio clip at the playhead, as one essentially needs to be able to do for even pretty simple home movie edits. Am I being stupid or has this functionality been entirely removed by some genius Apple programmer? Why do I get the feeling that what used to be a brilliant and intuitive piece of software has been completely eviscerated to the point of uselessness?

Any ideas? Thanks

Richard

MBP, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Jan 21, 2014 9:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2014 10:32 AM

Richard Weston-Smith1 wrote:

Am I being stupid or has this functionality been entirely removed by some genius Apple programmer?

No, it's not been removed. You just need to drag your audio clip to the right place.

In your case, you want to drag it directly to the timeline and not to the background music well below the timeline.

Some more information here:

http://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.0/#mov91a895a64

Matt

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2014 10:32 AM in response to Richard Weston-Smith1

Richard Weston-Smith1 wrote:

Am I being stupid or has this functionality been entirely removed by some genius Apple programmer?

No, it's not been removed. You just need to drag your audio clip to the right place.

In your case, you want to drag it directly to the timeline and not to the background music well below the timeline.

Some more information here:

http://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.0/#mov91a895a64

Matt

Jul 29, 2015 11:42 PM in response to Matthew Morgan

The problem is that if I attach the audio clip to the video clip that I want it locked to, then the audio is not synced. If I move the audio clip so that it is synced to the video, then the audio clip is now attached to a different video clip. Now when I make video edits, the audio goes out of sync because it is locked to the wrong video clip.

Any advice?

Nov 22, 2015 2:21 AM in response to Matt Ma

To overcome this problem you need to move the connection point. You do this by holding down the command and option keys then clicking in the top half of the audio clip where you want to move the connection point to. This way you can keep the audio clip connected to the desired video clip. See screen shots below

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

You can do the same with cutaway clips and titles.

Geoff.

How do I lock Audio clip at playhead in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.