Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac connected to wifi but safari won't load pages

Does not loads pages when iMac first starts up, also emails are received very slowly or not at all, and then don't open when selected, have had to cycle wifi on and off form the toolbar to top of the screen.

Wifi network at home is working fine though as I'm typing this from my iPad. Hence why I think there's a problem with the iMac rather than my home wifi network.

Hopefully someone could enlighten me please as I'm lost, have thought of updating the software but can't check as the internet isn't working on the iMac!

Many thanks

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jan 21, 2014 11:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2017 7:22 PM

Wow, sorry for being - what, 3 years too late - but in case anyone else hits this page as I did. I'm on Maverick (10.9.) - and had this on a separate image I boot (use one for business, the other personal etc. - it's a long story). SO my internal would work WIFI just fine yet the other would connect, but no webpages, mail. I was especially useful to see it on the Activity Monitor which has a network tab, and I could see the flatline (almost) compare to the working ones. Then I remember having done this a few years ago, just go to the network pref's and highlight the WIFI one, and delete the pesky critter. For good measure, I reboot next, but not sure that's necessarily necessary, then add another one, select WIFI and it will suggest the name "WIFI 2", which I kept as is (I am a bit superstitious, there might have been other bits that would have made renaming to the original name a bad choice). And "voila", that was it (why I'm able to write this now!). Cheers (and, ugh, happy tax day 2017).

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2017 7:22 PM in response to Joper11

Wow, sorry for being - what, 3 years too late - but in case anyone else hits this page as I did. I'm on Maverick (10.9.) - and had this on a separate image I boot (use one for business, the other personal etc. - it's a long story). SO my internal would work WIFI just fine yet the other would connect, but no webpages, mail. I was especially useful to see it on the Activity Monitor which has a network tab, and I could see the flatline (almost) compare to the working ones. Then I remember having done this a few years ago, just go to the network pref's and highlight the WIFI one, and delete the pesky critter. For good measure, I reboot next, but not sure that's necessarily necessary, then add another one, select WIFI and it will suggest the name "WIFI 2", which I kept as is (I am a bit superstitious, there might have been other bits that would have made renaming to the original name a bad choice). And "voila", that was it (why I'm able to write this now!). Cheers (and, ugh, happy tax day 2017).

Jan 21, 2014 12:09 PM in response to Joper11

Please answer as many of the following questions as you can. You may already have answered some of them. In that case, there's no need to repeat the answers.

Have you restarted your router and your broadband device (if they're separate) since you first noticed the problem? If not, do that now and see whether there's any change.

If your browser is Safari, then from the Safari menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Privacy Remove All Website Data

and confirm. Any change?

Quit and relaunch the browser. Any change?

Log out and log back in. Any change?

Enable Private Browsing in the Safari menu. Any change?

Are any other web browsers installed, and are they the same? What about other Internet applications, such as iTunes and the App Store?

If other browsers and Internet applications are also affected, follow these instructions and test. Any change?

If only Safari is affected, launch the Activity Monitor application and enter "web" (without the quotes) in the search box. If a process named "Safari Web Content" is shown in red or is using more than about 5% of a CPU, select it and force it to quit by clicking the X or Quit Process button in the toolbar of the window. There may be more than one such process. Any improvement?

Again, if only Safari is involved, open the iCloud preference pane and uncheck the box marked Safari, if it's checked. Any change?

Are there any other devices on the same network that can browse the Web, and are they affected?

If you can test Safari on another network, is it the same there?

If you connect to your router with Wi-Fi and you can also connect with Ethernet, do that and turn off Wi-Fi. Any difference?

Jan 22, 2014 9:36 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks for fast response.

Having tried all you suggested, iTunes and the App Store are also affected.

There are no other browsers installed and the network is working fine on my iPad and iPhone, also my girlfriends non-apple phone and tablets.

I've also followed the link you posted and that has not helped either, do you have any other suggestions, or am I best to speak to apple directly.

Thanks

Jan 22, 2014 11:46 AM in response to Joper11

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a test, not a solution. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

Step 1

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account.

Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your personal files or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac” is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Step 2

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. You must hold down the shift key twice: once when you boot, and again when you log in.

Note: If FileVault is enabled, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of Steps 1 and 2.

Jan 25, 2014 12:48 AM in response to Linc Davis

I have tried both methods you suggested above to test the issues I'm experiencing, unfortunately neither proved what you suggested, I still had the same problems.

There is already a second account on the mac and I asked the user of that one to check, safari pages, App Store and iTunes etc still not loading.

I also checked it with a guest account and the same thing happened.

Also the same problems occurred when running in safe mode as you suggested.

Hopefully you've got another suggestion?

Many thanks.

Jan 25, 2014 6:27 AM in response to Joper11

Hold down the option key and select the Wi-Fi menu in the menu bar. What values are shown for the following?

• PHY Mode
  • Channel
  • Security
  • Signal/Noise or RSSI
  • Transmit Rate

Please do not post the BSSID, as that information is private.

Now hold down the option key again and select

 ▹ System Information... ▹ Network ▹ Wi-Fi

Compare the two-letter Country Code with the ISO code for your country. Does it match? The code X0 means that the country couldn't be determined. The code X3 means South America, not otherwise specified.

Jan 26, 2014 12:05 PM in response to Joper11

Back up all data before making any changes.

Step 1

Take the applicable steps in this support article. The Wireless Diagnostics program generates a large file of information about your system, which would be used by Apple Engineering in case of a support incident. Don't post the contents here.

Step 2

Run Software Update and install all available updates for OS X or your computer's firmware.

Step 3

If you're not using a wireless keyboard or trackpad, disable Bluetooth by selecting Turn Bluetooth Off from the menu with the Bluetooth icon. If you don't have that menu, open the Bluetooth preference pane in System Preferences and check the box marked Show Bluetooth in menu bar. Test. Continue if you find that Wi-Fi is faster with Bluetooth disabled.

From that same menu, select Open Bluetooth Preferences. If the box labeled Discoverable is checked, uncheck it. Click the Advanced button, and in the sheet that opens, uncheck the top three boxes, if any are checked. Click OK. Enable Bluetooth and test again.

If the application called "Bluetooth Setup Assistant" is running, quit it. Note: this is not applicable to OS X 10.9 or later.

Step 4

This step will erase some of your settings in the Network preference pane. Make a note of them before you begin, and recreate them afterwards. It may be helpful to take screenshots of the preference pane.

Triple-click the line below on this page to select it:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.airport.preferences.plist

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Reveal

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with "com.apple.airport.preferences.plist" selected. Move the selected item to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator password. Recreate your settings for Wi-Fi in the Network preference pane.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens (command-V). You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Step 5

Reset the System Management Controller.

Step 6

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service center.

Jan 21, 2015 8:16 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hello Linc,

I had the EXACT same problem as Joper11 but was able to open Safari, App Store and iTunes in Safe Mode... (Step 2 of your reply sent on Jan 22.) Would you have some information for me as to how I could repair my normal account? I have an iMac (24" mid-2007) running OSX 10.8.5.

All software is up to date as well.

Any advice would be appreciated... This is my first post as well... not sure if I did this the right way or not...

May 10, 2016 2:35 PM in response to Joper11

Hey there, I was super frustrated after reading all these comments (from my iPhone) when I was having this issue with my MacBook Air. DNS settings, IP addresses and flushing caches, etc. are a pain and nothing worked for me ...

THIS WORKED THOUGH = Shut your computer down and then restart it. I don't know why, but that worked after an hour of messing with all the technical stuff. When my computer started back up, the landing page was the first thing that opened. (Note: Re-starting my computer did NOT work ... I had to completely shut it down). Good luck!

Dec 6, 2016 4:15 PM in response to Joper11

I was having this problem AND I had already been on the wifi network I was using when I visited my sister last year. This year I am blocked. It is the settings or more specifically the "certificates" in your Keychain Application. It is a uber technical application that is SOOOO hard for some of us! I saw all kinds of suggestions like:

1. Renewing/turning off&on/inputting manually DHCP.
  2. Restarting/resetting the router and the macbook.
  3. Turning WiFi on/off.
  4. Remove & add services (WiFi & ethernet).
  5. Checked and copied all network settings from another macbook pro that's connected and online on my network.
  6. Ran network diagnostic and assistant tools
  7. Duplicated/removed/added location
  8. Removed the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder.
  9. Removed network password from keychain.

DON'T DO ANY OF THIS!!!!! TOO MUCH STUFF WITH UNCERTAIN OUTCOMES!!!!!!!!!!

But quite by accident I was trying everything to get my internet to work and found this was occurring: "GoDaddy Certificate has not authorized this site" Something to that effect. I realized the "certificates" that GoDaddy spoke of was in Keychain Access. Unfortunately I could not just eliminate the GoDaddy that was blocking my internet access. I had to delete them all. They rebuild in time----all on their own!! So needing internet access as I did, I deleted them all. Everything has been fine! And I am on the internet.

iMac connected to wifi but safari won't load pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.