Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Window Resizing

Dear Apple,

I've used Apple computers since my young childhood in the early 1980s, as well as also becoming proficient with Microsoft Windows. My wife and I both greatly prefer Apple over Microsoft for many reasons and that isn't likely to change easily. However, I've been saying for years that there was one thing Microsoft did in fact get right when they stole the "windows" concept. Back in 2006 I was shopping at an Apple Store in the mall and I expressed the following comments to one of the store employees and, hilariously, they fetched the store manager to try and "persuade" me that my opinion was wrong. I have always maintained this opinion and I find it hard to believe that still all these years later, Apple has never improved this one area of their Operating System.

I'm talking about window management. In particular, resizing and window placement on the screen. In Microsoft, there was always a function of some kind which allowed the user to quickly arrange open windows into a "tile" pattern, which easily and automatically took advantage of all the available screen space. Say, if you had two open windows, you could tile them horizontally, splitting the full screen into two columns of windows, or vertically, into two rows of windows. This could be done pretty quickly, with about one mouse click.

In Apple Mac OS X, I still have to take the time to manually drag the borders of windows into approximately the size I want and then drag the window to where I want it. Even for two open windows this is time consuming, but for lots of open windows it's rediculously awkward and slow. I understand that the "Mission Control" function was supposed to help, but this doesn't accomplish the same thing. If I need to view information from two or more open windows *at once* then I don't want to toggle back and forth between windows.

Why can't Apple figure out a way to just "tile" the windows (or whatever they want to call it, alternatively,) so that I can open up my windows across all available screen space in just one mouse click? I'm assuming that Microsoft probably has a patent on it. Since I don't understand patent law, I cannot possibly know if there is a way around this, but Apple has always been so innovative, I'm thinking they should be able to figure out an elegant solution.

Please, Apple. Figure something out. I'm really tired after all these years of spending 5 minutes arranging windows around my screen *before* I can begin work on a project. It's pretty silly. It was silly back in 2006 when "Spaces" was going to supposedly solve this issue for me... (it didn't!) and it's still silly now that "Mission Control" continues to be a non-solution.

Sincerely,

James

a devoted long-time Apple lover

OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 21, 2014 11:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 4:36 PM

While hoping that Apple will one day implement windows arrangement features, a temporary good solution which works with Mavericks is http://bucketomac.de/arranger/arranger/. The developer did a good job.

Come on Apple :-)

A devoted and very long time Apple lover.

OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

4 replies

App Window Resizing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.