Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple mail client is rejecting my password, but it works via the internet

I am running 10.6.8 and using Apple Mail version 4.6.

Yesterday I noticed that all of the mail in my inbox was duplicated, and this afternoon I am unable to send or receive via the Mail client. It says that icloud is rejecting my password. I tried re-entering it in the configuation settings - no good. Other email, such as Comcast and Gmail accounts are working fine - also via the Apple Mail client, 4.6.

If I go the "my" cloud via the internet and enter my password there, I am able to send and receive email. Ideas???

MBP OS=current

Posted on Jan 21, 2014 2:30 PM

6 replies

Jan 21, 2014 3:59 PM in response to CAPTJON

I get the same kind of message: "The MobileMe IMAP server “imap.mail.me.com” rejected the password". I've cleaned my permissions, restarted, changed my password online ...all to no avail. Icloud is offlinein Mail on my MacBook Pro despite having reset my password several times in preferences. Oddly I can pick up and send emails via the cloud on my ipod touch using my new password.

Jan 21, 2014 4:33 PM in response to Margo Sagov

I'm having the same problem. It just started today. I've tried using my Mac booted to a back up drive and also tried an old iPhone and they are all the same, no good. It works on my iPad, but it accesses iCloud without using IMAP. The problem must be with the iCloud Mail IMAP server. Hopefully, it will be fixed soon. I recommend that you don't change any of your settings for awhile. You might get your system messed up and cause yourself more problems.

Jan 21, 2014 6:05 PM in response to CAPTJON

Same here.

IMAP works on the default mail app on my OS X 10.9 macbook pro.

icloud.com interface also works.

iPad and iPhone will not work since this afternoon. They usually work fine. I get a message saying i'm using the wrong username/password, which is not true because i'm able to login with the web icloud.com interface. I have tried changing my password: still works on my mac and icloud.com but didn't solve my problem with my iPad and iPhone.

As CAPTJON mentionned, I have tried it on my android tablet and I get an incorrect username/password error. It used to work fine on this android tablet also.

Windows mail client won't work.

My friend let me try his icloud account on my android tablet and it worked...It also worked on my ipad... So this is giving me a hint that maybe the problem isn't related to all of the @me and @icloud emails?

Apple mail client is rejecting my password, but it works via the internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.