Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud email password not working

My iPhone suddenly asked me for passwords on my 2 iCloud accounts I use. I have not changed anything in either account.

This has also occurred in all my Email clients acorss my 2 macbooks with these 2 accounts in Mail (both) & Mail Pilot on 1. Plus, the same has occurred on my iPad.

I can however login though icloud.com.

I checked the Apple iCloud system status screen & all systems seems to be ok?

Posted on Jan 21, 2014 3:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2014 5:33 PM

I started to get errors this morning. Now only iCloud.com through Safari and Mac Mail on my MBP (Mvrx) will see mail. My main eMail client Entourage in 10.5.8 on my PPC Tower will not work and gets the password error every time it goes out for the mail. I have had problems of one kind of another since Apple did the big iCloud switch.

I wonder if the credit card hackers got bored with Target and turn on Apple?

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2014 5:33 PM in response to emkai

I started to get errors this morning. Now only iCloud.com through Safari and Mac Mail on my MBP (Mvrx) will see mail. My main eMail client Entourage in 10.5.8 on my PPC Tower will not work and gets the password error every time it goes out for the mail. I have had problems of one kind of another since Apple did the big iCloud switch.

I wonder if the credit card hackers got bored with Target and turn on Apple?

Jan 21, 2014 5:58 PM in response to emkai

Same here. Everything is running fine in Mail app on Macbook Pro OS X 10.9, but NOT working on neither ipad or iphone where it usually works fine.

Won't work on my PC's account.

I get a message saying my password or username is not good. Changed password via icloud.com, still able to access mail from the icloud.com interface and from the mail app on my macbook, but no other device that usually works is working now...

Tried my friends icloud account on my PC and it works...So is the problem related to only some of the @me & @icloud emails and not all of them?

I can still access icloud.com and it works.

Mar 9, 2016 8:33 PM in response to emkai

I had a similar issue. I could login to my iCloud account using my AppleID but the same password wouldn't work when I used my (non-Apple) email client to try to log in to retrieve my email. I tried resetting my iCloud password...didn't work. I even spent 25+ minutes on the phone with Apple Support today which only resulted in them telling me to use the Apple Mail app instead.

I finally found the solution tonight when looking through the Manage your Apple ID site. You need to create an App-Specific password for your email client:

1. go to https://appleid.apple.com/account/home
  2. login with your AppleID username and password
  3. Once the page loads click the 'Edit' link in the Security section
  4. You should now see a section for App-Specific Passwords
  5. Click the 'Generate Password...' link
  6. Enter a label (I used my email client name - Unibox)
  7. Click Create

Apple will generate a password that you'll use when setting up your email client. Use this new password instead of your AppleID password.

Using app-specific passwords - Apple Support

iCloud email password not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.