Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail keeps crashing when searching for messages from/to people

When I search for a person (or term) by name, Apple Mail crashes. It says it is sending the details to Apple, then offers to REOPEN. Choosing Reopen, Mail restarts...then if I try a search again, it crashes again...this continues to happen. It has been happening about a month now and is getting worse. Today I ran for hours before this appears. IS APPLE ADDRESSING THE PROBLEM? How are fixes made available to users? This is hurting my productivity as i use the MacBook Pro for my business.

Here is a partial screen shot of the last instance. Note: This on a high-end MacBook Pro with 16 GB memory; 768 GB solid state drive, Retina screen.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 16 GB memory; 768 GB solid state dr

Posted on Jan 21, 2014 3:46 PM

1 reply

Jan 23, 2014 8:32 AM in response to Rod Wright

Hey Rod Wright,

There are several recommended troubleshooting steps for when applications freeze/quit unexpectedly:

• Restart your Mac. Methods for starting up your Mac
  • Check for updates to your software. Keep your Mac up to date
  • Disconnect any peripheral devices you just connected (for example, a printer). They may not be compatible with your version of OS X.
  • Uninstall any app plug-ins or enhancements from other manufacturers.If you recently updated the app or OS X, a plug-in or enhancement you installed may no longer be compatible.
  • Use Apple Diagnostics or Apple Hardware Test. These tools can tell you if hardware you installed, such as additional memory, is incompatible, improperly installed, or defective. Use Apple Diagnostics or Apple Hardware Test
  • Restart your Mac in safe mode. Start up in safe mode
  • Use Disk Utility to repair your computer’s internal disk.

from: OS X Mavericks: If an app freezes or quits unexpectedly

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13975

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

Have a great day,

Delgadoh

Apple Mail keeps crashing when searching for messages from/to people

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.