Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail stopped working for iCloud

I have an iMac 3.2Ghz Intel Core i3 - 12GB RAM - OS 10.6.8

Tonight my iCloud mail account stopped receiving and sending email... just stopped... worked three years ago... worked yesterday... worked this afternoon... now it doesn't work. I get this error message "The MobileMe IMAP server 'imap.mail.me.com' rejected the password for user 'socialstudies8@me.com'"

I don't want to upgrade to the newer OS because they won't work with older programs like Appleworks. I have 23 years worth of Apple works files that I use as a school teacher and I am not interested in learning a new application.

Mail always worked before. I made absolutely no changes in any settings. I can send and receive web eMail on iCloud.com, so I know the account is still active. All the other email accounts are active and online. Only the iCloud account stopped working.

Did something change with Apple? Did they stop supporting Mail for Snow Leopard?

Thanks for any advice.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), (January 2011)

Posted on Jan 21, 2014 5:16 PM

9 replies

Jan 22, 2014 8:06 PM in response to Joeswell

I'm experiencing the same issue. Last night (Tuesday 1/21) when this was happening too, I called AppleCare, and the representative said that it was "a known issue" in the system that was being addressed. Then, as now, the System Status page (www.apple.com/support/systemstatus) indicated that all systems, including iCloud, were "Normal".

When I got up this morning Mail was again working fine without any authentication prompts, and it worked fine all day until this evening. Hopefully Apple is on it.

Jan 22, 2014 8:17 PM in response to David Elliott

Having same issue, but I have been unable to get iCloud working again for Mail (4.6) on my Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.8) - getting asked repeatedly to enter my iCloud password because the server has rejected it. Plus, I have tried deleting and re-entering the iCloud server information in Mail's Preferences ->Accounts section.

Feel like I have been orphaned by Apple, and I hadn't heard about any fantastic improvements to iCloud that whatever patch they applied was supposed to give Lion/Mountain Lion/Mavericks Mac users... In fact, until I started doing searching and found this and another couple of topics in the Apple Support Communities, I hadn't heard at all about this 'gotcha'.

Jan 28, 2014 2:12 PM in response to Joeswell

Some very simple workarounds and other comments. I apologize for such a back to basics post.

The last post is 6 days old and I still have a problem.

I noticed the same problems with my iCloud mailbox using Mail 4.6 and OSX 10.6.8, it simply stopped working about a week ago and I can get it partially/sometimes working for a while by fiddling server settings. Changing your settings is a waste of time - this is Apple's problem to address. Making these changes just makes you feel like you're doing something helpful while they fix whatever is really broken.

If you are completely locked out of using your mail then the following 2 suggestions will get past that.

1. Use a browser to get to icloud.com, login, and select Mail. You should now have complete access to email.

2. If you use an ios device then you'll probably already have your email on it. If not, then set up your iCloud account in your iPhone/iPad/iPod mail program. Again this will give you "complete" access to your email.

I put complete in quotes since you obviously cannot easily transfer to/from Mac applications from your phone.

Mail stopped working for iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.