Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In iMessage, why does a contact name come up red?

When I'm in iMessage, what does it mean when the contact name comes up red?

Posted on Jan 21, 2014 6:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2015 2:41 AM

If that's true, it's a kind of bad interface design decision... 'red' means 'not working' or 'error'. It should be green, like on the iPhone, to show that it only sends sms. I thought that this was the case actually and that there is just a bug that occurred somehow...

15 replies

Apr 10, 2017 6:15 PM in response to CindyW57

Hi, I recently had this issue after having my iPhone on airplane mode for a while. When I resumed work at my MacBook Pro a few hours later... all my "green" contact names that were SMS conversations had turned to "red" ... I could receive texts from these names, but was not able to send texts. "Blue" iMessages still worked.

Here's how I fixed the problem:

1). Reset Network settings on the iPhone... Settings > Reset > Reset Network Settings (you won't lose any data, apart from saved passwords for WiFi networks, so be prepared to re-enter needed WiFi passwords).

2). Disable iMessage on the phone under Settings > Messages > toggle the "Enable iMessage" to the off position.

3). Enable iMessages... it may take a few moments to activate... allow it to activate... you should then see "Text Message Forwarding" options... go there and toggle any listed devices to the Off position, then back to the On position.

This fixed the problem for me on my new MacBook Pro 2016 running Sierra. Hope it works for anyone else having the problem.

Jun 19, 2014 8:55 AM in response to CindyW57

So I figured out that red means no iMessage, obviously, but my question is when I add the contact the mobile number and email both have iMessage next to it. I select the mobile number and the name is blue, it then turns to red after about 5-10 seconds.

The person clearly has an iCloud account and can receive iMessages. Just not from my Mac. And I am using it to send other people iMessages all the time...

In iMessage, why does a contact name come up red?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.