Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forgot icloud password

I recently got a replacement iPad through AppleCare. The new iPad keeps telling me that my icloud password is incorrect. I'm sure it is, and just want to change it at this point. How do I reset my icloud password?

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 21, 2014 7:21 PM

16 replies

May 17, 2014 9:21 AM in response to arianebarrial

If you recall, when you first created your iCloud account to went to Settings>iCloud and entered an Apple ID to create the account. Once created, the Apple ID also becomes an iCloud ID. If may be different from the Apple ID you use for other Apple services, but it is nevertheless an Apple ID. If you can't remember the password, you reset it like you would for any other Apple ID password that you can't remember. Here's an article explaining how to reset your iCloud ID password: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2617. It will use the exact same stepas that you use to reset any other Apple ID password.

May 17, 2014 9:36 AM in response to randers4

Okay randers4. From your 55,000 posts you have been very helpful and I hope you can help me. here is my situation. My icloud ID and my apple ID are different. I dont know the password for my icloud.com and I dont know anything about the email. I can't delete the icloud account without the password either. I do have a working Apple ID but I need to delete the icloud account. I followed your instructions from this

If you have an old ID (email address) in Settings>iCloud as a result of updating to iOS7, you have to go to Settings>iCloud, tap Delete Account, provide the password for the old ID when prompted to turn off Find My iPhone, then sign back in with the ID you wish to use. If you don't know the password for your old ID, or if it isn't accepted, go to https//appleid.apple.com, click Manage my Apple ID and sign in with your current iCloud ID. Tap edit next to the primary email account, tap Edit, change it back to your old email address and save the change.

When I press Edit and TRY to change it back to my @icloud.com account it said " do not use a domain by apple " The red box is checkd. so I cannt use this email address.

Then edit the name of the account to change it back to your old email address. You can now use your current password to turn off Find My iPhone on your device, even though it prompts you for the password for your old account ID. Then go to Settings>iCloud, tap Delete Account and choose Delete from My iDevice when prompted (your iCloud data will still be in iCloud). Next, go back to https//appleid.apple.com and change your primary email address and iCloud ID name back to the way it was. Now you can go to Settings>iCloud and sign in with your current iCloud ID and password.

May 17, 2014 9:44 AM in response to arianebarrial

Those instructions only work in cases were you have a current iCloud ID that was created by editing the old ID. From what you are saying it doesn't sound like the old ID was a previous version of your current ID.

If would help if you could explain how this happened in the first place. What happened that caused you to be prompted for the password for this unknown @icloud.com email address?

May 17, 2014 9:53 AM in response to randers4

Okay I have always had my apple ID and password. the problem arose today when I was trying to delete everything on my ipad. I go to settings - icloud - and it SHOWS a account that is @icloud.com. I dont even remember using or putting this account into my ipad. I dont know the password for it, nor the security questions. I wont let me do anything i dont have my @icloud.com password. 😟

May 17, 2014 10:10 AM in response to arianebarrial

I think you're going to need Apple's assistance sorting this out and resetting the password for you. You will not be albe to erase the iPad without knowing the password.

Contact Apple for assistance by going to https://expresslane.apple.com, then click More Products and Services>Apple ID>Other Apple ID Topics>Lost or forgotten Apple ID password. The call should be free but you will need your serial number to set it up, which you will find in Settings>General>About.

Good luck.

Forgot icloud password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.