Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is there a limit to the amount of photos that iPhoto can handle on Snow Leopard?

I have almost 60.000 photos in my iphoto library with about 340gb space available. I tried to import some prints tonight and it said that there was not enough space for the library. Please explain if anyone knows!! Thank you very much

iPhone 4, iOS 7, iPhone and iMac

Posted on Jan 21, 2014 8:16 PM

8 replies

Jan 21, 2014 8:44 PM in response to def2251

What is the size of the iPhoto Library file? When any database program makes changes it usually has to make a duplicate file into which the changes are made before the original file is removed. This prevents data loss should there be a problem.

If the library is larger than the available free space, then this may be why you receive the error.

Mar 6, 2014 11:26 AM in response to def2251

You have to count to have about 30GB at least free on the startup disk, after you have the library loaded.

On the external you have space enough.

As far as I know there is no limit for iPhoto, but I suggest to not let it grow too much, because everything will become sluggish, also making backups. It should be possible to split up in more libraries, one that is really actual and one that is the past. Physical splitting up I mean, not smart collections. You can switch libraries by holding the Alt(option) at startup of iPhoto.

is there a limit to the amount of photos that iPhoto can handle on Snow Leopard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.