Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatically create a table of contents in Pages 2.0 for iOS?

I see that the ability to automatically create tables of contents is touted as an advanced writing feature on the apple website advertising iWork Pages. I can't seem to find that feature in the version I am running (2.0.1) on an iPad 2 and there doesn't seem to be an update available. I also notice that in the documentation that is on the actual download site fails to mention the TOC feature. I'm wondering if this feature truly exists and if so, how do I activate it.

iPad 2, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 21, 2014 8:26 PM

4 replies

Jan 22, 2014 4:13 AM in response to Daebir

I can't find it using any of the controls, or mentioned in the in-app help, nor anywhere in Pages for iCloud tools or help. I suspect a feature that wasn't quite ready for the release date that will be added at some point. I don't have access to Pages on a Mac right now, but it might be the case that if you can set up a table of contents there it will continue to work in Pages for iOS. As far as I can tell none of the templates on the iPad include a table of contents or they could be used as a starting point.

Insert ToC in Pages Help for Mac

tt2

Jan 22, 2014 6:56 AM in response to turingtest2

Accessing the file in Pages on an iPad doesn't seem quite so easy. As long as you have a computer with which you manage the iPad then you could download a copy of the linked document which saves as a .zip file. Connect the iPad to iTunes, locate the Apps tab, scroll down to the file sharing area, select Pages in the left hand column, drag & drop the file into right hand area, open Pages on the iPad, then use the + tool at the top-left of the Pages window to Copy from iTunes.

Offhand I can't think of way that doesn't involve iTunes on a Mac or PC, but I might well have overlooked something.

tt2

Automatically create a table of contents in Pages 2.0 for iOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.