Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my library 200+GB bigger after importing from Iphoto to Aperture

I recently got a new imac and decided to start using Aperture to manage my huge library. Previously I was using Iphoto 9 in Mountain Lion. My original Iphoto library is 687GB. I exported it to my external drive and works great from there.

Now I have the new Imac with Mavericks and just got Aperture 3.5.1. I have opened the iphoto library original in this new computer and it upgraded to the new version of Iphoto that I have here (9.5.1). Everything looks good.

From my understanding this is a managed library since I only exported the library file and everything is there.

After making sure the iphoto library file was working well I decided to go ahead and import to aperture. I decided to do this since I thought it would be a much better way to go with such a big library. The original iphoto library has around 9,200 photos and videos.

I created a new aperture library in another big external drive (Drobo) and imported the original to Aperture doing File - Import- Library and choosing the original located in an external drive.

After 24hrs of working finally I can see the new library appear in Aperture. One problem I have is that it is going extremely slow compared to the same library in Iphoto, but that is another topic.

In the new aperture library I see the exact same amount of pictures and projects appear however the library appears to be 930GB. According to what I have read in other discussions I have tried to find in Aperture using the keyword search to see how many of these photos/videos have a keyword of iphoto original (vs new masters that could have been created from edited versions of the originals. If I do "iphoto original" in my search nothing appears (although it keeps "processing" the search after a couple of hours (yes, that is how slow it is working now). Is that already something wrong? Is this keyword added automatically when you import from Iphoto?

I would really like to fix this since I still have two other libraries (37GB) that I would like to merge with this one. Is that crazy? Could I expect such a big library to work well? I am new to Aperture but so far I am not impressed at all.

The only file I have to work on is the one I have in the external drive since I already got rid of the old computer....

Any ideas on how to solve this problem? Would appreaciate any help.

Thank you!

Aperture 3, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 21, 2014 8:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2014 11:08 PM

Why did you import the Library to Aperture? There's no need. Aperture can open the Library. Now it's an Aperture Library.

If that Library has only 9,200 items and weighs in at 687GB there is something wrong there.

8 replies

Jan 22, 2014 2:02 AM in response to MAYPA20

Your library is big, but nothing out of the ordinary and well within Apertures capabilities.

It's hard to say definitively why the library has grown so, but ultimately it won't matter, once you have your library working well and you configure Aperture how you want it to operate, and you tidy up any unwated artefacts from the import, your library size will become exactly the size it needs to be.

There are a number of possible explanations for why things are going slow.

First, check how you have formatted your Drobo storage. The file system requirements for Aperture are described here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3252

Next, having chosen to import your iPhoto Library, you have essentially created a new environmet with its own preferences controlling things like previes, faces, places and so on. These could explain both the size and any (temporary) performance issues.

With Aperture running, press SHIFT+CMD+0 (zero). This will show you the activity window so you can see if Aperture is performing any follow-up tasks relating to the import such as building previews, building thumbnails, detecting faces and son on.

If so, allow it time to finish. Once it's finished all the post import activity, it will settle down and begin to operate in a more optimised fashion.

Depending on the history of you old iPhoto library, there could be some clean-up work do in terms of edited copies of originals. Old versions of iTunes used distructive edits, meaning you got an edited copy of your original. Aperture doesn't work this way and you will need to decide if you want to keep those (for example stack them with tier orginals) or if you want to redo any of them using Apertures non-destrutive tools. Later versions of iPhoto used a similar non-destructive approach which will carry over, so it's just any very old edits you may have to make descisions for.

IAndy

Jan 22, 2014 7:11 PM in response to Yer_Man

Hi Terence,

I thought (maybe by mistake) that importing my library to Aperture would make it much easier to manage such a big library. I don't understand what the implications are of using your iphoto library in Aperture vs importing the whole library.

I think my library is so big because I do also import HD videos. Should I try to export videos?

Thanks

Jan 22, 2014 7:17 PM in response to Najinsky

HI Najinsky,

I did shift control 0 and indeed the library is still working I guess in tasks related to the import. It says it is generating previews and still has 76,618 remaining.

How can I check the preferences for importing? maybe it is generating big size previews? would that affect on the size on the library?

Depending on the history of you old iPhoto library, there could be some clean-up work do in terms of edited copies of originals. Old versions of iTunes used distructive edits, meaning you got an edited copy of your original. Aperture doesn't work this way and you will need to decide if you want to keep those (for example stack them with tier orginals) or if you want to redo any of them using Apertures non-destrutive tools. Later versions of iPhoto used a similar non-destructive approach which will carry over, so it's just any very old edits you may have to make descisions for.

Could you guide me a bit more on how I can work with these. How can I know which pictures are originals and which are edited versions? When you say stack, does that mean a way to organize or does this affect library size too?

Thanks!

Jan 23, 2014 1:49 AM in response to MAYPA20

How can I check the preferences for importing? maybe it is generating big size previews? would that affect on the size on the library?

In the Aperture Preferences panel, in the "Previews" tab.

User uploaded file

Set the "Preview" size in the "Photos Preview" pop-up menu. And select a quality value.

If you do not want to create previews by default, disable "New projects automatically create previews".

If you do not want the preview processes running in the background while you are working, hold down the "Shift" key while you are launching Aperture. That will defer the generation till the next lauch and you can let it run over night.

Jan 23, 2014 1:25 PM in response to MAYPA20

I keep it usually set to 10. But check, if you are happpy with 8. With 8 or less you may be noticing some jpeg artefacts, when you are using your Aperture previews for fullscreen viewing as screensaver or Desktop picture.

You can also delete the previews for selected images. I keep only previews for selected images that I need to share with other applications, i.e. all images that I have have rated with four or five stars.

To delete Previews, select the photos and use the command "Photos > Delete Previews".

If you reduce the jpeg size and quality, use the same menu to update the preview. Select your photos, go to the "Photos" menu, hold down the options key ⌥, until "update Preview" turns into "Generate Preview". That will recreate them.

Why is my library 200+GB bigger after importing from Iphoto to Aperture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.