Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I retrieve erased data after an update to Snow Leopard

I finally got around to buying Snow Leopard for my imac that was running on OSX 10.4.11

Unfortunately I didn't back anything up and once the Snow Leopard had loaded, all my data was gone. All my documents, photo's, music.

I've managed to get some music back that I purchased from itunes but nothing else.

Most things I can live without.....some important documents I can possibly remake....but the one thing that has gutted my whole family is the photo's that were on photo booth...as there were a lot of my sons friend who tragically died the week before Christmas aged 23. I can't believe I didn't load them to disc before upgrading...completely slipped my mind.

So is there by any miracle I can retrieve everything??

Thanks for reading

Daisy

Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jan 21, 2014 8:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2014 11:47 PM

If the hard disk was erased and you don't have a backup then you are fairly unlikely to be able to retrieve the data. There are a number of retrieval programs, but they generally don't work all that well. A professional service would stand a higher chance but this would be extremely expensive.

Either way, the more you go on using your Mac the more likely it is that you will over-write any files which may still be there so if you want to try retrieval you should stop using it immediately.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2014 11:47 PM in response to DaisyB53

If the hard disk was erased and you don't have a backup then you are fairly unlikely to be able to retrieve the data. There are a number of retrieval programs, but they generally don't work all that well. A professional service would stand a higher chance but this would be extremely expensive.

Either way, the more you go on using your Mac the more likely it is that you will over-write any files which may still be there so if you want to try retrieval you should stop using it immediately.

Jan 22, 2014 10:25 AM in response to DaisyB53

Stop using the computer until you decide whether or not to try data recovery software.

Di you erase the drive before installing Snow Leopard ? - it's not normal for files & data to be deleted unless that happens.

Sometimes, people report everything being missing, when there's actually some confusion over the User accounts, and the one currently logged in isn't the same one that was previously used...

Are you the only user shown in System Preferences - Accounts; and the only one named in Finder - HD/Users ? (other than shared).

Jan 27, 2014 6:32 PM in response to DaisyB53

Thank you for all your replys...unfortunately I've had no luck, though I think it would be possible if I paid yet more dosh out, as I've tried a couple of free sample downloads that have discovered missing photo's...but to retrieve I have to buy the complete package....so I know they're retrievable at least...just can't afford to.

Lesson learnt. Be careful what you wish for! I have wanted the upgrade for over a year and with a little ppi cash I got I bought it and paid to update itunes...and now I've lost everything, and Snow Leopard isn't allowing my bluetooth.

Wish I'd saved my money and stayed with Leopard.

Thanks again guys.

Jan 28, 2014 6:09 AM in response to madrich

Data Rescue, from Prosoft Engineering, is an fairly advanced package...it's helped me recover stuff several times (works better with smaller files, less successful with video files). It's currently retailing for $99. Whenever I buy a new computer, I always purchase a copy of this program, as I've had the disc crash blues more times than I care to admit...

Can I retrieve erased data after an update to Snow Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.