Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't sign in to my messages app on my mac.

It keeps giving me this error "Messages can’t log in to (account) because your login ID or password is incorrect."

MacBook Pro, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Jan 21, 2014 9:21 PM

6 replies

Jan 23, 2014 1:09 PM in response to apakolypse

Hi,

On your Mac.

Messages can sign in to AIM, Jabber, Yahoo, iMessages and Bonjour and will need a password for the first 4.

In the case of the AIM account you could be using an Apple ID ending in either @mac.com, @me.com or @icloud.com and in this case the password needs to be 16 characters or less.

Google Mail IDs can be used for Jabber accounts in Messages (added under Google) but you do have to enable "Talk" at your Google Account settings first.

Similarly the Facebook has to have "Chat" enabled to give you the Facebook Chat ID to set up as a Jabber ID in Messages.

If you are using an email as a Apple ID the password with Apple may be different to the place the emails comes from.

If you have linked it to iCloud you may have been asked to update an @me.com or @icloud.com password which may also effect the original Apple ID password.

You also list iOS 7.0.3 but have not said if this is an the iPhone (or other iOS device) or the Mac.

User uploaded file

9:09 pm Thursday; January 23, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Dec 22, 2015 1:18 PM in response to mihkell

That is a different issue.

See this Thread Re: facebook messenger not connecting since update

The link to the Facebook info https://developers.facebook.com/docs/chat

EDIT

Using iMessages when describing the Messages app an account that is not working leads to confusion and the wrong info being supplied.

one day it signed out and iMessages hasn't started working for weeks now

User uploaded file

9:17 pm Tuesday; December 22, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

I can't sign in to my messages app on my mac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.