Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Can I Tell if My iPad Air Replacement is New or Refurbished

I'm getting a replacement iPad Air because mine had a problem with it, there were loose magnets in it. I've heard that people have another person's data on apps they have just downloaded and that makes me really uncomfortable.

How can I tell if my replacement is brand new or just refurbished? Is there info in the serial/model number?

Thanks.

iPad, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 22, 2014 4:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2014 4:30 AM

You might hear a lot of things on the Internet but that doesn't make them true.

If you got a refurbished iPad from Apple it would be completely empty.

Refurbished iPads are identified on the packaging.

You can see the model number in Settings > Genera l> About > Model. The model number has a two-letter code, a number and some more letters. The last part stands for the country/region. The first letter can be "F" (refurbished), "M" (normal retail), or "P" (personalized / engraved).

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2014 4:30 AM in response to Tomanthonyi

You might hear a lot of things on the Internet but that doesn't make them true.

If you got a refurbished iPad from Apple it would be completely empty.

Refurbished iPads are identified on the packaging.

You can see the model number in Settings > Genera l> About > Model. The model number has a two-letter code, a number and some more letters. The last part stands for the country/region. The first letter can be "F" (refurbished), "M" (normal retail), or "P" (personalized / engraved).

Jan 22, 2014 6:36 AM in response to Tomanthonyi

Tomanthonyi wrote:

I'm getting a replacement iPad Air because mine had a problem with it, there were loose magnets in it. I've heard that people have another person's data on apps they have just downloaded and that makes me really uncomfortable.

They either didn't get the replacments from Apple or they are mistaken. I had to take my iPad 3 in for warranty replacement when the cellular antenna failed 11 months in. The replacement unit could have been new, could have been refurbished. No way to tell. It came from a plain brown box. It looked like new, acted like new.

How Can I Tell if My iPad Air Replacement is New or Refurbished

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.