Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring Leopard 10.5.8 to Snow Leopard 10.6.8 - Migration Assistant keeps looking for other computers

I'm trying to use Migration Assistant to transfer from a MacBook with Leopard 10.5.8 to a MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard 10.6.8. Both computers are connected to the same wifi network.

On the source Leopard Mac, Migration Assistant keeps looking for other computers.

I've tried

Both computers can see each other under the shared tab in Finder.

Should I purchase a FireWire cable? I don't have Time Machine, so I can't do a transfer from that.

Thanks!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 22, 2014 6:46 AM

5 replies

Jan 22, 2014 10:48 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for the links--followng their advice, I created a new admin account on the target Mac and deleted the old one, but I'm still getting stuck on the "Looking for other computers" step. It seems like the 10.5.8 Migration Assistant can't recognize the 10.6.8 Mac.

I'm thinking about wiping the target Snow Leopard Mac and trying to use Setup Assistant, but I don't have the Snow Leopard OSX installation discs. I only have the discs for Leopard, which might create problems according to the pondini site.

Jun 16, 2014 8:07 PM in response to Eric Root

Sharing leo to snow leo 10.5.8 to 10.6.3/8 Frustration

Long story, hope what I have done may help shine a light

Maxed out on Updates for my PB G4, A1107 running 10.5.8

Was maxed out on my newer PBPro A1150 Model running 10.6.8

I reinstalled Snow on the PBPro and updated with related Migration updates, keeping it now at 10.6.3

The only difference with both being at 10.5.8 and 10.6.8/10.6.3 was the added option to select Firewire or Network on the PBPro...PBG4 or 10.5.8 does not have that option, in which case I used an Ether cable. I gave up on the Firewire. Target mode on old PB would not show on PBPro. Out of curiosity, I Target Mode the PBPro on the PBG4 and it showed up. So cable works.

So when I start Migration on the older PBG4, it would take me to the boxes for the numbers, which i would then get from the PBpro after running Migration.

If I start Migration with the PBPro and get the 6 digits, then run Migration PB G4, the boxes would not show, but since the pattern promts you to enter it when you do see it, I blindly do and it allows me to click continue but does not continue. See Pic. It stays in Searching for Other computers. WHy does it even look for others when there is one to find?

I have had success with Snow to Maverick... here you get an icon of the laptop or in my case a PC that I can click... you don't know that you have to click this... so is there something to click with what I am working on?

I have not tried Time Capsule or from a BackUp, simply because Migration should just work and I don't have the money for an external HD

User uploaded file

Message was edited by: boyWonder65 added Picture

Jun 19, 2014 4:03 PM in response to boyWonder65

When I was researching my similar issues I ran into your thread and ended up doing the following to solve the problems you described:

My goal:

Transferring my data from a Leopard 10.5.8 MacBook Pro to a Snow Leopard 10.6.8 Macbook Pro.

My issues were:

1) Computers not recognizing each other via Network cable (tried both regular and cross-over cable)

2) Computers not recognizing each other via Firewire

3) Data transferred from time machine backup, data was on the new laptop (10.6.8) but user account was empty!!. (verified 105GB of data stored through disk utility)

I had done a migration data transfer before between these 2 computers when I originally bought the laptop with 10.6, 4 years ago, so I know it worked.

I solved this issue by doing the following:

1) reformatted the hard drive on the laptop with 10.6.3, did a clean install of 10.6 AND DID NOT UPDATE OS X to 10.6.3

2) migrated data via Firewire (you will need a Fw 400 to Fw 800 cable) BEFORE finishing OS X original install.

3) after migrating all data install OSX upgrades 10.6.3 and 10.6.8

My theory: there is a Migration update in 10.6.x that interferes with the original migration app, causing the problems described above.

It worked for me, it recognized the 2 computers over Firewire and I found all data back on the new computer.

NOTE: you do need your OSX original install DVD OR create a bootable Start Up disc

Hope this helps

Transferring Leopard 10.5.8 to Snow Leopard 10.6.8 - Migration Assistant keeps looking for other computers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.