Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to import into Numbers from Filemaker 9

If you have Filemaker 9 still, as I have, you will already know all the problems created by the new update of the Apple OS. Basically Filemaker hangs. Completely, when it comes to exporting to Excel format.

1) Export from Filemaker as a TAB format file

2) Do not use the latest, reduced function and dystunctional version of Numbers (3.0.1) it simply doesnt let you import TAB or DBF or other good things ("file type not recognized")

3) Go back to the trusty, better concieved and coded version of Numbers (2.3) and all is solved - TAB files come just like you would expect

4) Copy this to Apple Support - they might decide to make proper updates to their software suite again. Maybe... or maybe Apple is the new Microsoft.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), Using Apple software applications

Posted on Jan 22, 2014 7:56 AM

6 replies

Jan 22, 2014 9:38 AM in response to CarlOttersen

CarlOttersen wrote:

Numbers (3.0.1) it simply doesnt let you import TAB or

Hi Carl,

I do not believe this statement is accurate. I have no problem taking properly formed tab-separated data and pasting it into a table in Numbers 3.0.1. The table will automatically expand to the required number of columns and rows.

SG

Jan 22, 2014 6:39 PM in response to SGIII

SG

I just tried. That is the 'insert' >'other' function? saw list of files, includng the TAB one - but for me ity is greyed out and cannot be imported in the conventional sense of the word.

Please tell me what you did.

If I am doing the same thing, then likely the file isnt properly formatted, then the errror is with Filemaker export function or the conflict with the updated OS then.

Thanks

Carl

Jan 22, 2014 7:02 PM in response to CarlOttersen

Hi Carl.

As far as I can tell, in Numbers 3.0:

You can File > Open a comma-separated file but not copy-paste comma-separated data into a table.

You cannot File > Open a tab-separated file but you can copy-paste tab-separated data into a table.

So if you can export tab-separated data from FM9 then you should be able to get the data into Numbers 3.0 without much trouble by opening the exported file in TextEdit or similar, typing command-a to select-all, command-c to copy, then clicking in a cell in a Numbers 3.0 table, and pasting.

SG

Jan 22, 2014 7:13 PM in response to SGIII

SG

Thanks.

In essence, you are telling me there are limitations in both CSV and TAB - it can be done but with necerssary workarounds in Numbers 3.0

Whereas you can open a TAB file using "open with.." and select Numbers 2.3 and it works without all that effort

Which is my point - why is Apple constantly reducing functionality, or making it more difficult to use, or just "dropping the ball" as they are on so many things. I find the same issues with the new versions of Pages and iBooks.

So: Use your workarounds in 3.0 or just open the files with 2.3 and 'update' to 3.0

Hope this exchange helps everyone else.

Thanks SG - and thanks to all!

Jan 22, 2014 7:21 PM in response to CarlOttersen

It's really not that much effort (less than a minute of work) after figuring out what to do.

As I did a while ago, perhaps you could leave feedback with Apple (via Numbers > Provide Numbers Feedback in your menu) asking for better import capability.

Meanwhile, there are ways to get data into Numbers 3.0 without too much trouble.

SG

How to import into Numbers from Filemaker 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.