9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2014 9:25 AM by pjonesCET1
pjonesCET1 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Safari instantly crashes as soon as icon clicked in Dock

Will half way run in safe mode. Will blink on and off like its constantly trying to redraw.

I have the following other browsers that work fine with no issues either in normal or Safe mode:

SeaMonkey

FireFox

Aurora

FireFoxUX (Australis)

Opera

OperaNext

Maxthon

Chrome

OmniWeb

iCab

Version of Safari is 7.0.1

Here is a PNG of the Crash Report.

any suggestions

Safari_crash_Report.png

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)
  • Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (172,955 points)

You may have installed the "Genieo" scam product. There is an uninstaller, but as the developer is not trustworthy, you shouldn't rely on it. I suggest the tedious procedure below to disable Genieo.

Back up all data. You must know how to restore from a backup even if the system becomes unbootable. If you don't know that, stop here and ask for guidance.

Quit the Genieo application, if it's running. Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/etc/launchd.conf

Right-click or control-click the line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.

If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens (command-V). You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

A folder may open with a file selected, or the file may be absent, in which case you'll get a message that it doesn't exist. If it does exist, it's a configuration file created or replaced by the Genieo installer. Any software installer that does this should be considered ipso facto malware. Move the file to the Trash. You'll be prompted for your administrator password.

IMPORTANT: If the launchd.conf file exists, you must move it to the Trash it before continuing. Otherwise the systemwill become unbootable. In that case, restore from your backup and start over. That's how badly Genieo has sabotaged your system.

Repeat with each of these lines:

/Applications/Genieo.app
    /Applications/Uninstall Genieo.app
    /Library/Frameworks/GenieoExtra.framework
    /Library/LaunchAgents/com.genieo.engine.plist
    /Library/LaunchAgents/com.genieoinnovation.macextension.plist
    /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.genieoinnovation.macextension.client.plist
    /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.genieoinnovation.macextension.client
    /usr/lib/libgenkit.dylib
    /usr/lib/libimckit.dylib
    /usr/lib/libimckitsa.dylib

Again, some of these items may be absent, in which case you'll get a message that the file doesn't exist. Skip that item and go on to the next one.

Reboot. Your web browsers should now function normally, and you should be able to reset the home page and search engine. If not, stop here and post your results.

From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari Preferences Extensions

Uninstall any extensions you don't know you need, including one called "Spigot" if it's present. If in doubt, uninstall all extensions. Do the equivalent for the Firefox and Chrome browsers, if you use either of those.

The Genieo installer may also install the "Silverlight" web plugin from Microsoft. If you have no use for that plugin, you should remove it according to Microsoft's instructions. Don't remove it if you subscribe to "Netflix."

This procedure may leave a few files behind, but it should deactivate Genieo. Make sure you don't repeat the mistake that led you to install it. Chances are you got it from one of the Internet's open sewers such as "Softonic" or "CNET Download." Never visit either of those sites again.

Finally, be forewarned that when Genieo is mentioned on this site, the developer sometimes shows up under the name "Genieo support." If that happens, don't believe anything he says, but feel free to tell him what you think of his scam.

• MadMacs0 Level 5 Level 5 (4,660 points)

If you don't find Genieo or removing it did not solve your problem, we will need to see a lot more of that crash report than a scrren-shot. Just copy and paste the text back here, to at least Thread 19, which is the one that crashed.

• pjonesCET1 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Boy was this a Bear. I followed you direction and reboot and the little winder indicationg ist loding would stop.

So Reinstalled System. No dice (2 hours wasted).

So I am a Fanatic about using Time Machine

So I spent 5 hour doing a Time machine backup.

The last three files after I got back on were a pain. They would self generate if just left in the Trash I had to empty them. finally after a dozen times, I got all the files you indicated off the drive. And until I did it was wonky getting computer restarted.

Its curios though, that it only affected just safari.

I won't answer yet that post fixed or helped problem yet for a day or two. I

I've used Mac's since a SE/30 and this is the first time I tough I was going to have to chunk the computer. I've always been able to fix OS problems. I am going to have buy a New Drive  and Put a Clean OS only on it so I can fix issues.

pjonesCET1 wrote:

Its curios though, that it only affected just safari.

The Safari Extension is what causes it to be more obvious there, but many users have also found other browsers' home page and search engine changed. That is easily corrected by changing browser preferences.

I won't answer yet that post fixed or helped problem yet for a day or two.

OK, but it was Linc that posted the instructions, so you should give him credit and not me.

Does getting rid of the files get rid of the Safari extension is any?

How do you remove a Safari extension?

I rarely use Safari (mostly to test my website).

Found extension in Safari I did not install that used the Genieo Search engine

I uninstalled it.  I believe it was installed in the Mavericks upgrade of Safari

pjonesCET1 wrote:

Found extension in Safari I did not install that used the Genieo Search engine

I uninstalled it.  I believe it was installed in the Mavericks upgrade of Safari

The Genieo installer put it their at the same time as the other files were installed. If that was before you upgraded to Mavericks and you migrated or installed over the previous system, then it would have still been there.

Worked Fine in Mountain Lion (OSX.8.6).

Only started crashing when updated Mavericks (OSX.9.x) to OSX.9.1 was working fine OSX.9.0

I've marked question as answered and gave credit to the person that told me the files to remove. 

Safari works fine though takes a few extra second to open. But once open everything draws fast on screen.

Since everything appears to be working. And no new replies I will no long marke in email as unread. If anyone needs to comment I assume a new notification will appear.