Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11.3 issues

Anyone have problems with iTunes not opening on macbook after updating to 11.3? I just updated to iTunes 11.3 this morning and now it will not open.

MacBook (13-inch Mid 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 22, 2014 9:34 AM

17 replies

Jul 11, 2014 8:19 AM in response to rll_sb

11.3 with Mavericks on Mac pro too... Anything to do with podcasts pegs iTunes at 100% cpu making it freeze up..

Something is broken with podcasts..

I noticed that it's back to the old "iCloud" icon for un-downloaded podcasts, rather than the more recent and confusing radio signal like icon-

Must be another under the hood change.

Jul 11, 2014 5:48 PM in response to joshuafromchambersburg

There is a problem with this update. Same issue here on my iMac. I installed update this morning and ended up with the spinning beach ball. Spent hours on the phone with tech support everything we tried failed to help. We ended up using a time machine backup from last night to go back to a time prior to the updating the software. iTunes is back to working again albeit back to 11.2.2.

Jul 13, 2014 8:01 AM in response to rll_sb

I had a 5 hour long talk with the help desk yesterday about this problem

the woman had no warning though on Friday I had sent at least 3 crash reports

She does a lot of good to my MacPro in general but iTunes didn't improve one bit. It crashes, I can't delete, I miss BBC podcasts galore because by the time it will be operable again they'll be beyond due date. And I'll probably spend, just like in September last year, hours and hours more getting my podcast-treasures in order again.

Will they eliminate Podcatcher from iTunes next? With the amount of care they are taking that looks likeliy to me

Jul 14, 2014 2:13 PM in response to Bernard Savoie

did anybody at Apple apologise for the mess they created with Podcasts in September last year?

that's how much attention they pay -

they haven't even listed 11.3 as existing update on their contact support page yet.

as to attention they had an update for iBooks yesterday claiming to correct mistakes, so we aren't the only ones but then iBooks must pay for the stuff they download ... piles and piles of podcast files are for free, that needs to be remedied me thinks they think

Aug 2, 2014 9:53 PM in response to joshuafromchambersburg

I had similar problems for weeks, and thinking WAY back to Word and PageMaker on OS 7.5 tried a similar recovery that worked for me.

1. I moved the following four files to a temporary directory:
    • iTunes Library Extras.itdb
    • iTunes Library Genius.itdb
    • iTunes Library.itl
    • iTunes Music Library.xml
  2. Then I started iTunes, which created new versions of these files.
  3. I then quit iTunes and waited to make sure it had finished saving updates to these files.
  4. I finally removed the new copies and put to originals back.

iTunes 11.3 now works fine for me. No uninstall/reinstall, and all my playlists and media survived.

iTunes 11.3 issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.