Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Hard Drive not appearing on Macbook Pro or 2009 Macbook

Hello,

I have a G Technology G-DRIVE External Hard Drive, that until now has worked perfectly.

I plugged it in today to try and back up my macbooks through Time Machine, like I have done for the last year - and on ether of the computers, the Hard Drive is not appearing in Time Machine or Finder. Having browsed online, I found that it is showing in Disk Utility and in System Information - but other than that I cannot do anthing with it. I even tried to Repair the drive, by erasing it and reformatting it - and I cant do it - I keep getting the messgae 'Error: Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files.'

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I use this hard drive as a Time Machine Backup, and I'm unable to do so.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), Also occurring on my Macbook 2011

Posted on Jan 22, 2014 11:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2014 11:44 AM

At best, it sounds like this HD is flakey so even if you were able to get it working again, I would not trust it.

PlotinusVeritas gives some great suggestions for purchasing external hard drives in this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5602141?tstart=0

1 reply

External Hard Drive not appearing on Macbook Pro or 2009 Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.