Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro Retina Late 2013 Overheating problems

I just bought a Macbook Pro Retina 15 inches, 2.3, 512 last week. I just ran skype and nothing else, the temperature went upto 95 degrees celsius. The problem is it never comes down. I dont do anything except skype and facebooking and the temperatures are going really crazy (never below 95 degrees C). Its just impossible to touch the top part of the keyboard leave aside putting this LAPtop on my LAP. I am really wondering if spending 2700 euros on this computer was worth it? This is my first Mac and I was kinda expecting a flawless computer but 😟. Please help me out guys, what should I do?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 22, 2014 11:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2014 11:58 AM

Take it back to Apple Store - you are entitled to a "no questions asked" refund or replacement in the 14 days after purchase.

It looks like it is faulty. My MBPretina gets warm but never HOT even after 5 or 6 hours of continuous use.

It probably won't happen, but if offered a repair, refuse and request a replacement (unless you want your money back) since that's what you are entitled to. Hopefully the replacement will restore your faith in Apple!

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2014 11:58 AM in response to arronsekhri

Take it back to Apple Store - you are entitled to a "no questions asked" refund or replacement in the 14 days after purchase.

It looks like it is faulty. My MBPretina gets warm but never HOT even after 5 or 6 hours of continuous use.

It probably won't happen, but if offered a repair, refuse and request a replacement (unless you want your money back) since that's what you are entitled to. Hopefully the replacement will restore your faith in Apple!

Jan 22, 2014 12:05 PM in response to arronsekhri

Sorry, I assumed that , since you said you bought it last week, you bought it last week, not almost 4 weeks ago!

Even if you are not eligible for the 14 day scheme as a result, you still have the 12 month Apple Worldwide warranty - Apple should look at it and fix it free of charge. They may even do an exchange if you explain that the fault has been there since purchase.

Jan 23, 2014 1:09 AM in response to arronsekhri

I talked to the guys from Apple care and also from my local Apple store. This was their reply " The first possibiity of an appointment is after a week from now. You should not use your mac book till then. It is not possible to exchange your notebook with a new one."

Now I am so looking forward to getting my 2700 euros, BRAND NEW notebook repaired after just 5 days of use. If I knew that before, I could have just bought a REFURBISHED notebook and saved my pocket. Horrible experience already.

Jan 23, 2014 4:33 AM in response to arronsekhri

arronsekhri wrote:

"It is not possible to exchange your notebook with a new one."

Now I am so looking forward to getting my 2700 euros, BRAND NEW notebook repaired after just 5 days of use. If I knew that before, I could have just bought a REFURBISHED notebook and saved my pocket. Horrible experience already.

I sympathise. Unfortunately, warranties etc. run from the date of purchase, not the date of first use - imagine the (rare) scenario of buying a computer and not opening it for 12 months, then finding it goes wrong within the first week - no retailer or manufacturer is going to regard the item as a week old - it will be out of warranty (assuming a 12 month warranty).

Sad but true. Hopefully it will be something that is easily resolved and will be "good as new" once fixed.

Jan 23, 2014 9:10 AM in response to arronsekhri

I am using MacBook Pro Retina(Mid-2012, bought new) 2.6 Ghz CPU since several months, CPU temps go upto 104 C on my Mac but it is normal as per CPU specs provided by intel, In your case Max CPU T junction temp allowed is 100 C , You may have either CPU listed below.

There is absolutley no problem with your MacBook Pro, so dont worry & do not waste your time.

(I am writing this post while Handbrake video converting CPU temp 104 C)

http://ark.intel.com/products/76087/Intel-Core-i7-4750HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-t o-3_20-GHz?q=Intel®%20Core™%20i7-4750HQ%20Processor%20(6M%20Cache,%20up%20to%203 .20%20GHz)

http://ark.intel.com/products/76086/Intel-Core-i7-4850HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-t o-3_50-GHz?q=Intel®%20Core™%20i7-4850HQ%20Processor%20(6M%20Cache,%20up%20to%203 .50%20GHz)

Jan 23, 2014 11:13 AM in response to GadgetGuruDXB

GadgetGuru,

I do not dispute your figures. My advice was based on the OP's clear concern (at the time I thought that they were within first 14 days and hence entitled to a refund/replacement automatically) AND (most importantly) the OP's comment that:

Its just impossible to touch the top part of the keyboard

As I have a retinaMBP that never gets more than slightly warm in this area, I concluded there probably was something not right. The issue for me had little to do with CPU operating temperatures and all to do with a HOT (not warm) casing.

Jan 23, 2014 11:41 AM in response to arronsekhri

It may be, of course, that since you started using this MBPr the Spotlight indexing is going on and that demands a lot of CPU power, as soon as the index is ready it will only "run" when somethings change and then Spotlight is taking little CPU power. As long as you add apps and data in the first weeks Spotlight runs to expand the index.

There may also be some other software taking much CPU power, you could start Activity Monitor (in Applications/Utilities, Programma's / Hulpprogramma's) and click the CPU% column to see that (clicking that column sorts up or down), Spotlight is seen as md... and mdworker.

If you click from high% to low% you can post the first 5 here.

Lex

Macbook pro Retina Late 2013 Overheating problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.