Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange repair library msg popping up after freq. crashes

AP 3.5.1 crashes a lot on my machine (late 2013 27“ iMac, 3TB Fusion, 2GB VRAM, running 10.9.1) due to an assumed memory leak (see https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5810524

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5756828). My workaround is to edit only a few photos, quit AP, restart, edit a bit, quit, …

Nevertheless, it crashed again and now presents a dialog at start up suggesting to repair the library.

User uploaded file

When I choose repair, it says the library has been opened with a newer version of AP, repairing with this version may remove data supported only in newer versions of AP.

User uploaded file

This leaves me puzzled because I have no newer version than 3.5.1 at hand and definitly run 3.5.1

User uploaded file

Has anyone else had this situation? I am reluctant to wreck my library running a repair program that does not seem to know which version of Aperture has actually created the library.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), late 2013 iMac i7 "27 3TB Fusion

Posted on Jan 22, 2014 12:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2014 1:43 PM

The error messages you are seeing are very puzzling, chris5s. How come one message is in German and the next in English? It looks like you are having two versions of Aperture installed. This would also explain, the confusion about the Aperture versions.

Looking at the panels - the first panel completely in English, the second a mixture of German and English - that is a clear indication that the repeated crashes have left the Preferences files in a corrupted condition and probably your Aperture library as well.

First search with Spotlight, if there is an older Aperture version lurking somewhere.

Then check, if your Aperture library is showing correctly the version number 3.5.1 by looking at the library with "File > Get Info" in the Finder or look at the preview in column view.

If it is the correct version, make sure, that your backup of the Aperture library is current before you try to repair it.

Then try to run the repair by selecting the library directly, holding down the key combination ⌥⌘ (option-command) and double clicking the library. This should launch Aperture in First Aid mode. Select "Repair Database". Repairing can take a long time for a large database.

If the pidgin language problem persists, quit Aperture and remove the preferences as described here:

Aperture 3: Troubleshooting Basics

After removing the preferences log off and on again before relaunching Aperture.

-- Léonie

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2014 1:43 PM in response to chris5s

The error messages you are seeing are very puzzling, chris5s. How come one message is in German and the next in English? It looks like you are having two versions of Aperture installed. This would also explain, the confusion about the Aperture versions.

Looking at the panels - the first panel completely in English, the second a mixture of German and English - that is a clear indication that the repeated crashes have left the Preferences files in a corrupted condition and probably your Aperture library as well.

First search with Spotlight, if there is an older Aperture version lurking somewhere.

Then check, if your Aperture library is showing correctly the version number 3.5.1 by looking at the library with "File > Get Info" in the Finder or look at the preview in column view.

If it is the correct version, make sure, that your backup of the Aperture library is current before you try to repair it.

Then try to run the repair by selecting the library directly, holding down the key combination ⌥⌘ (option-command) and double clicking the library. This should launch Aperture in First Aid mode. Select "Repair Database". Repairing can take a long time for a large database.

If the pidgin language problem persists, quit Aperture and remove the preferences as described here:

Aperture 3: Troubleshooting Basics

After removing the preferences log off and on again before relaunching Aperture.

-- Léonie

Jan 22, 2014 2:16 PM in response to léonie

I created a local backup copy of my library, started Aperture, went through the strange dialogs and said repair on the last one. Repair was fairly quick (less than 3 minutes) and now I don`t get the strange bilingual warning anymore. I definitly do not have an older aperture version on my drive, because AFAIK it wouldn't run on Mavericks anyway. The language mixup is probably because the "opened with newer library" dialog was never translated, whereas the "reparieren" Button exists in the german version anyway.

Jan 22, 2014 2:44 PM in response to chris5s

because AFAIK it wouldn't run on Mavericks anyway.

Aperture 3.4.5 is running well in Mavericks; I kept that version in addition to Aperture 3.5.1, because the maps are better in Places View, and just in case I need to revert to the earlier version. The Snowleopard versions 3.1. and 3.2 will not run with Mavericks.

But it is great, that repairing could fix the library.

Jan 22, 2014 3:28 PM in response to chris5s

The language mixup is probably because the "opened with newer library" dialog was never translated, whereas the "reparieren" Button exists in the german version anyway.

I checked that on my system, and indeed, when I tried to repair an Aperture 3.5.1 library using Aperture 3.4.5, I get exactly the pidgin message you have seen: All other error panels were completely in German.

User uploaded file

But it was definitely Aperture 3.4.5 giving that message. If you saw Aperture 3.5.1 giving that message when trying to repair an Aperture 3.5.1 library, then there must have been a corruption of the datamodel.plist or another file storing the version number inside your Aperture library, that now has been repaired.

BTW, as soon as I switched to German as primary language and rebooted, Mavericks became rather unresponsive and the fan become very noisy. Do you notice any difference between German and English as System Language?

Apr 25, 2014 10:22 AM in response to chris5s

Hi chris5s,

I've got the same type of problem too. I'm running Aperture 3.5.1 under Maveriks 10.9.2.

This was not the first time that this happened and I think that I found a possible cause for the corruption of the Aperture library.

I found that the Aperture library got damaged while I synced my iPhone 4 with iTunes while Aperture was running.

Repairing the database didn't work each time and I had to replace the damaged Aperture library by a backup copy. I tried to use a Time Machine backup but I got all sorts of errors. I was lucky enough to have a not too old backup on another hard disk.

Thus: try not to forget to close Aperture or iPhoto while you sync your iPhone or iPad !

Strange repair library msg popping up after freq. crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.