Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to show a slideshow on a projector

I've found an answer to this question but it was from 2007 so might not be correct.

My wife made a slideshow using iPhoto '11 on a MacBook Pro with a Thunderbolt and FW 800, Ethernet, and USB ports. The show contains 93 slides and takes 2:46, She would to play it only once on this projector and would like to avoid buying the latest Thunderbolt/Mini-display to DVI or VGA adapter. So far, we've been unable to find out what connections are on the projector. We have AppleTV and already own the following adapters and cables:

Adapters

Mini- DVI to VGA

Mini-DVI to DVI

Mini-Something (old) to S-Video & Composite

VGA (female) to DVI (male, but does not plug into the above Mini-DVI to DVI as the male end has 4 extra pins surrounding the blade)

FW 800 (male) to FW 400 (female)

Cables

Firewire 400 & 800, USB, DVI, VGA & HDMI ( all male to male)

I also exported the slideshow to a M4V movie. Clicking info on Large (864x540) estimated 4 Mbps & 104 MB. Actual file is 113 MB, close enough. Clicking info on Display estimated 7 Mbps & 182 MB. Actual is a whopping 939 MB! Not sure what this is about.

One option is we have access to a Windows 7 PC that's connected to the projector but can't access it beforehand to test it. Would the PC play the M4V format? If not, which format should I use for export?

If the projector has USB input, would transfer be fast enough to just play the movie from a flash drive?

If the projector has HDMI input AND I find my FW 800 to HDMI Cable, can I play the slideshow using the MacBook Pro's FW 800 port?

Finally, based on the 2007 answer, it sounds like I need to modify the display settings in Preferences depending on which port is used. Does that apply to the 2011 MacBook Pro too?

Posted on Jan 22, 2014 1:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2014 12:09 PM

The answer requires knowing what inputs are available on the projector, and which OS X version you're using. AirPlay Mirroring requires Mountain Lion or later OS.

The 2011 MacBook Pro has a Thunderbolt port, so a connection directly from the Mac to a projector with an HDMI input would use a Thunderbolt to HDMI cable such as this one from Monoprice:

Mini DisplayPort to HDMI® Adapter w/ Audio Support

Or, use AirPlay Mirroring and the AppleTV's HDMI output. Those would be the easiest choices.

If the projector does not have an HDMI input then an option would be a Mini-DisplayPort to whatever video adapter the projector has - it might be VGA which would require a digital to analog adapter, or DVI, which would not.

I don't know what a projector would do with a USB input, but I doubt it is intended for video. Similarly, the MacBook's FireWire port isn't intended for video output either.

I have no idea what formats Windows can read.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2014 12:09 PM in response to Lauren Hutton

The answer requires knowing what inputs are available on the projector, and which OS X version you're using. AirPlay Mirroring requires Mountain Lion or later OS.

The 2011 MacBook Pro has a Thunderbolt port, so a connection directly from the Mac to a projector with an HDMI input would use a Thunderbolt to HDMI cable such as this one from Monoprice:

Mini DisplayPort to HDMI® Adapter w/ Audio Support

Or, use AirPlay Mirroring and the AppleTV's HDMI output. Those would be the easiest choices.

If the projector does not have an HDMI input then an option would be a Mini-DisplayPort to whatever video adapter the projector has - it might be VGA which would require a digital to analog adapter, or DVI, which would not.

I don't know what a projector would do with a USB input, but I doubt it is intended for video. Similarly, the MacBook's FireWire port isn't intended for video output either.

I have no idea what formats Windows can read.

Jan 23, 2014 1:29 PM in response to John Galt

Thank you, John for your quick reply.

Her computer is running 10.8.5. Also, I was able to obtain information from the owner of the projector. She has a Mini-Display to VGA adapter for her Macbook Pro. I suppose this will work but might reduce the resolution, though and I'll have to use a headphone to RCA cable to play the sound through the projector. The projector does have an HDMI input so I'll look into the delivery time for your suggested adapter.

Interestingly, this Epson EX51 Projector will accept a USB Flash drive to show JPEG's and can create its own slideshow (but not play the iPhoto show).

How to show a slideshow on a projector

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.