Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internal SSD for early 2008 Mac Pro: TRIM Enabler Question

In a previous question, after getting great advice from this forum, I plan to install an OWC 6G Mercury Extreme Pro 6G SSD (120GB) in the second HD bay of my early 2008 Mac Pro, on to which I will install Mountain Lion. Because this is not an Apple SSD, I am supposed to enable TRIM on this SSD. I plan to get Trim Enabler 3.1 from http://www.groths.org/

My question is:

In what order do I perform the installation of Mountain Lion and Trim Enabler?

1. Install the SSD > Install TRIM Enabler on the SSD > Install Mountain Lion on this SSD?

or

2. Install the SSD > Install Mountain Lion > Install Trim Enabler?

or

3. Does the order matter?

My inclination is that I should install Mountain Lion first on the internal SSD and then install and run Trim Enabler.

Thanks for advice with this question.

Mac Pro (Early 2008), Mac OS X (10.6.8), Samsung ML-2510; HP F4280 Printers

Posted on Jan 22, 2014 2:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2014 2:12 PM

Install TRIM Enabler after you install Mountain Lion on the SSD.

14 replies

Jan 22, 2014 2:41 PM in response to Shelley Schreiber

Clone the SSD. You need to. And you need to boot to that or another sys tem that also has TRIM Enabler so that when you run Disk Utility's Repair Disk (system partitoln name) it invokes TRIM.

There is also since Lion the ability of DU Repair Disk to also check and repair the 'raw' drive level (WDxxxx or SEAxxxx) to check all the partition tables.

After installing ML boot to another drive, install TRIM and repair t he SSD, and install TE to the SSD.

Jan 23, 2014 8:11 AM in response to The hatter

Thank you for this information.

Since I have never done this before, I am a little unclear on the concept and am not sure what you mean by

"Clone the SSD. . . . boot to that or another system that also has TRIM Enabler so that when you run Disk Utility's Repair Disk (system partitoln name) it invokes TRIM."

Do you mean clone the new SSD that I will have inserted into the second bay of my Mac Pro hard drive?

Or do you mean clone my current HD that came with the Mac Pro (WDC WD3200AAJS-41VWA1 that is in the first bay)? If so, do you mean clone the entire HD or just the system?

Does an early 2008 Mac Pro OS 10.6.8 have a trim enabler already, or do I need to install it on my current hard drive first, before doing anything.

Thanks for any clarification you can give.

Jan 23, 2014 8:48 AM in response to Shelley Schreiber

Before you clone, install TRIM Enabler

And after you clone, run Disk Utility's REPAIR DISK on the SSD -- just to be on the safest side.
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/37852/trim-enabler

Clone your system:

How to Clone a Volume
Using Cloning as a Backup Strategy

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/7032/carbon-copy-cloner

You have to install or enable TRIM in some way on your own using your own 3rd party SSDs.

You should always clone your working system. And that is how I would "move" the system to the SSD.

Skipping all the large user folders for media files and documents. You end up with tiny 3GB user Library but all the system and apps on the SSD.

How to relocate system and user data to another drive:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57603361-263/how-to-move-a-home-folder-in-o s-x/

http://chris.pirillo.com/how-to-move-the-home-folder-in-os-x-and-why/

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4337

And leave your current drive for system as is until you are sure your new system is working, then you can turn it into either user data and media drive, or system backup. Or both, partitions for each.

The ideal is to split off the system (SSD) and user data so you would have a new "User Data" drive (1-2TB is usually all that is needed, or larger, or multiple drives: iTunes, graphics files, etc can be split over multiple drives.

Install TRIM Enabler now on your current system so when you do clone to the SSD it will already be there and when you run DU Repair Disk on the SSD after cloning and booted from the hdd also.

Jan 23, 2014 1:38 PM in response to The hatter

Thank you for your post and for the helpful links.

Here's how I understand the order of things from your latest post:

1. Install the internal OWC 6G Mercury Extreme Pro 6G SSD (120GB) in the second HD bay of my Mac Pro.

2. Install Mountain Lion onto this SSD.

3. Then install Trim Enabler on this same SSD that now has Mountain Lion OS on it.

4. Then clone the OWC 6G Mercury Extreme Pro 6G SSD (120GB).

Question: Do I then move the cloned SSD somewhere else (i.e. to my external 1TB Fantom Drive)?

5. Then run Disk Utility Repair Disk on the SSD.

6. In all this, I am not changing anything on my primary HD that has the Snow Leopard OS.

Could you please confirm if I am restating your directions correctly? Or set me straight if I am not?

Many thanks and my apologies for being so dense about the order of things.

Jan 23, 2014 1:58 PM in response to Shelley Schreiber

Nothing gets moved physically, only the system.

You dont' say where you are going to clone your new ML OS to. Can be anywhere, just needs a small 120GB partition on one of your drives, so it really does not take up much space - I sometimes use TimeMachine, I also have it on the end of the major data drive as well.

Unless you are going to dual boot I would pull Snow Leopard after you pull the files off and moved so you can use it for a data-only drive, or something else.

Jan 24, 2014 7:38 AM in response to The hatter

Thanks for your reply.

I am planning to have a dual boot and will leave OS 10.6.8 on my original hard drive. I plan to boot from ML on the SSD and install Maya 2014 there. I will clone the ML OS to the external Fantom Drive, where Time Machine is located.

Also, I want to copy (clone?) the Applications folder from the HD to the SSD.

If all works well, I can then erase the Applications folder from my HD and use the original HD for documents.

Needless to say, all this is freaking me out! :-)

Jan 24, 2014 8:03 AM in response to Shelley Schreiber

If you clone your system - and hope you have looked at and used / tested CCC already, nice to do a walk thru and test it all out and get the feel for it once -

you clone the system then you have cloned Applications.

What you also want to do is include JUST the minimum from /Users/my-account/

- such as ~/Library and maybe Documents but small and nothing else.

You want to copy your user folders such as Documents... on to the end, and anything else, to another drive ... ideally.

Now have a clone of the old sysem

Have copied all the important media files, folders, documents to another drive

Have an installer for OS X ready

Installed clean system to SSD

Setup Assistant will ask to import to Mac OS X on the SSD from your other system that you want to import, and you only want to import your apps that you trust are compatible and current. Those that have installers sometimes best to use the installer. Your prefs and mail are in ~/Library. You want that.

The user home Library gets a lot of hits on IO for reads and writes and best to have on the SSD - rather than have on another drive. If you want the entire user account on another drive, as one or more tutorials show and which is easy to do with Accounts settings in OS X, go ahead. I don't, I left mine on the SSD.

I would clone your SSD soon after you have it the way you want it.

And after all the disk I/O and writes, even with TRIM, I would boot from a system running Mavericks and run DU Disk Repair (never run DU from an older system on a newer OS).

Fantom drive - these are green? and uses USB3? something else? connected to a PCIe card? and 100% worthy of trust, right?

And you are going to use one drive, partitioned, with partitions for cloning the system, small 200GB, TimeMachine, 350% capacity of what you would ever need, and maybe even a data clone partition? Fine. Ideal is to have two drives, two sets, not have all your files and backups on one drive if the drive fails for some reason. Convenient as it is.

Jan 24, 2014 8:17 AM in response to Shelley Schreiber

One more question:

Obviously, the newly installed SSD will not have an OS on it until I install Mountain Lion, which I was planning to do directly onto the SSD. But, do I have to install Mountain Lion on my original HD first and then clone it to the SSD? Does Mountain Lion install use anything from Snow Leopard to be successfully installed? (Probably a dumb question, I know.)

Jan 24, 2014 9:26 AM in response to Shelley Schreiber

Does Mountain Lion install use anything from Snow Leopard to be successfully installed?

That is not a dumb question, unless you though of it and did not ask it. The answer is surprisingly complicated!

RE: How to Install 10.7 or later on a Mac that does not have Internet Recovery

The Mac Pro silver tower does not have Internet Recovery programmed into its Firmware the way the latest MacBooks do. To Install onto a completely blank drive, you need to boot from somewhere to run the Installer. That can be:

1) A stand-alone home-made bootable Installer image on a bootable drive such as an 8GB USB thumb drive or a Dual-Layer Installer DVD.

2) A Recovery_HD Volume from any drive, including:

-- a Hard Drive from 10.7 or later (which has a Recovery_HD Volume on it)

-- a Recovery Disk Assistant Recovery_HD on a 1GB thumb drive (created especially for this circumstance) Everyone who owns a silver Mac Pro should have one!

-- a Time Machine drive from 10.7.4 or later (which automatically includes a Recovery_HD)

3) "Install Mac OS X Application" just downloaded from the Internet. Running under the current Mac OS X (which could be 10.6.8) this works because it pre-places many of the Installer components onto the Install-to Drive, and creates a temporary bootable image [not clear if it creates a Recovery_HD or something else] and then proceeds to boot from it and then Install.

Jan 24, 2014 2:25 PM in response to Shelley Schreiber

Thanks to both Grant and The hatter for their patient explanations and links to pages about installing an SSB and Mountain Lion on my early 2008 Mac Pro. I plan to go through the various links that have been suggested before I embark on this project. I am getting a better handle on all this and will report back on my progress. I am really grateful for this information.

Warm regards,

Shelley

Internal SSD for early 2008 Mac Pro: TRIM Enabler Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.