Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing macbook's wifi connection with an iphone 5?

Hi folks,

I've been trying to find an answer to this for a while now without any luck. Bascially I work offshore, and in my cabin, my macbook air picks up wireless fine - but my iphone 5 doesn't (although it does outside it so it's just a poor signal issue on the iphone.).

I want to be able to use my mac's wifi connection on my iphone 5 (internet sharing).

I've enabled Internet Sharing, chose "wifi" as the "connection to share from", and selected "bluetooth PAN" as the "to computers using" box.

Now, when I enable bluetooth on the iphone 5 and the mac and try to pair them - it doesn't work. It shows the iphone connected for literally 2 seconds and then comes up and says "Network is unavailable - make sure network access is enabled".

I then disabled internet sharing, and changed it to "iphone USB" rather than "bluetooth PAN", enabled internet sharing again, but again - absolutely nothing on the iphone will work internet wise when it's plugged in.

I can't believe that Apple would put these options into the Macbook and it didn't work - so surely I must be doing something wrong.

Has anyone successfully been able to do this yet - and if so, can you share how you managed it? Cheers.

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 22, 2014 3:21 PM

1 reply

Feb 25, 2014 6:26 PM in response to M8arx

I am having the same issue. I can connect my iPad and iPad Minni to my MBP using bluetooth to share and internet connection, but cannot connect my iPhone 5.

I am sharing my connection with my kids while on vacation and my wife would like to access the internet as well. The hotel only allows one device at a time to connect to their internet, but I have by-passed this using a VPN connection and Sharing via bluetooth.

Anyone know how to connect the iPhone in a similar manner?

Sharing macbook's wifi connection with an iphone 5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.